Author Topic: .50 Early Lancaster Flintlock  (Read 6921 times)

Offline Herb

.50 Early Lancaster Flintlock
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:45:55 AM »
Here is a Pecatonica River Early Lancaster .50 flintlock rifle I just finished for Don.

I drifted the rear sight .019 inch to the right after shooting these targets. The light changed from full sun on snow to clouded over, may have affected the vertical grouping.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:28:34 AM by Herb »
Herb

roundball

Re: .50 Early Lancaster Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »
You guys amaze me with your abilities...nice !

Offline horseman

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:25:14 AM »
  That is very nice!!  I like the brass work and carving.  Good looking fits. ;)

northmn

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 05:00:26 PM »
Always liked Lancasters.  Good job.

DP

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Don bought these parts from Pecatonica River but decided not to build it himself.  The stock is grade CM 3, 15/16" x 42" Green Mountain barrel.  Fiebing's dark brown oil leather dye and about 12 coats of Formby's high gloss tung oil, each coat rubbed out with 4/0 steel wool.  Cheekside carving based on Simon Lauck's rifle shown on page 184 of Whisker's "Gunsmiths of Lancaster County".  My patch box engraving, with a bluebonnet on the lid (the state flower of Texas) and a sterling silver star soldered on the finial.  The patchbox contains a cleaning jag, patch worm and ball puller.  The ramrod is 1 1/4" longer than the bore, with a 10x32 tip inside and an 8x32 tip outside.  Nose cap riveted on. Sideplate is by Klenedinst from York County (from Pecatonica).  White Lightning flash hole liner.  Sterling silver plate hand-inletted into the top barrel flat for my signature.  I don't know why that wood looks yellow along the barrel there, it must be a reflection of the foam shipping box I had it laid in.  It is not glass bedding.  I screwed up and didn't have enough .020 OxYoke patching along for the tests, thus the several patchings.  Had to rush testing before another snowstorm.  Over 200 hours in this, much of it screwing up and redoing things....  Don will have this rifle at the Alamo in early March for a reenactment.
Herb