Author Topic: Gift Pouch  (Read 3633 times)

Lloyd

Gift Pouch
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:05:51 AM »
I made this bag year before last to give to my son-in-law for a Christmas present last year.  I also made all of the accouterments that went with it.

Overall shot of pouch and horn showing relationship of all items when put together.

Front of pouch showing hair covered flap, tooled front of bag and scalloped welting that was used throughout. You can also see the jute webbing that I used for the strap.

Interior of pouch, lined with ticking, also showing ball bag.

Picture of the antler handled patch knife that went with the pouch.

Shot showing the pocket on the back of the pouch that holds the firestarting kit

The firestarting kit that fits into the external pocket on the back of the pouch

I am currently working on a pretty elaborate fowler pouch that I will be presenting to someone at the Western Gathering of the American Long Rifle Association...  (that other ALRA)  I will post pictures when I complete this bag.

Edited back in:  I forgot to add, the leather is stained using Nitrate of Iron, the binding is alum tanned goat stained with walnut hulls.  All stitching is done with 4 ply linen cord, the goat skin is sewn to the ticking using linen thread.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:15:17 AM by Lloyd »

Offline bigbat

Re: Gift Pouch
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »
Lloyd, you sure are a busy man.  Nice job.

Lloyd

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »
Scott,
You know about projects that most of these other guys don't have any interest in...

And yes, I am somewhat of a workaholic.....

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 05:52:47 PM »
 Good looing outfit, nice work.

Tim C.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:57:53 AM »
Lloyd, very nice looking bag.  Is the hair on cowhide or soemthing else?
Thanks for sharing.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

george kevil

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 02:44:16 AM »
Lloyd,
I've seen this bag before and really like the way the flap is made and the rest of the bag too. Just curious how you do the edging over the hair.
George

Lloyd

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 03:27:09 AM »
The hair on hide is a piece of the flank of a Bramaha cow.

I tried several ways to sew the edging over the hair without it looking like a mess.

I finally settled, on laying the edging leather, slick side against the hair, and sewing it around with a saddle stitch (two needles) then I folded it over the edge of the flap and stitched it to the lining with an overhand stitch. 

On the pouch I am currently making, I did the edging the same, except the flap isn't hair.

george kevil

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 03:37:54 AM »
Thanks for the info Lloyd.
I'm going to try a piece when I have a moment.
George

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:53:09 AM »
Lloyd....That is a beautiful pouch. I really like the diamond design and it looks very well made. Thanks for sharing your photographs and some of your sewing secrets.   Frank