Author Topic: Norwegian caplock double barrel shotgun  (Read 3796 times)

briantaylor1952

Norwegian caplock double barrel shotgun
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:27:17 PM »
Many years ago I inherited a caplock double barrel shotgun from my grandfather.  He was Norwegian.  He told me that he used it when he was a boy, which would have made him pretty young at the time because he went to sea at the age of 14.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idhtzsigjgh16xt/Petersen.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvf3sepga3m12g8/side%20plate.JPG

The only markings are "Petersen, Christiania" on both side plates.  Apparently, the gun was made by Hans Frode Petersen (1815-1903), who lived in Christiania (now Oslo).  "Christiania" became "Kristiania" in 1877, so I would guess the gun pre-dates that.

That's all I can find out about the gun.  Does anyone have any additional information that they could share?

Offline runastav

Re: Norwegian caplock double barrel shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:05:43 PM »
Hi briantaylor1952!
Petersen was a very competent gunsmith. I took some photos from 2 Norwegian books hope it is for help :)
Har du lært norsk av bestefaren din?
Runar

briantaylor1952

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
Runar,

Thank you so much.  I really appreciate the pictures, and I am happy to know a bit more about the gun.  My intent is to pass it on to my nephew if he is interested.  If not, I'll try to find a suitable home for it, preferably in Norway.  But that will be some time from now, since I still have a few good years left in me and it has great sentimental value. 

Unfortunately, I did not learn Norwegian from my bestefar.  I have picked up a few words along the way, mostly from Norwegian colleagues.  For the Norwegian passages in the pictures that you so kindly provided, I'll use Google Translate.

Brian

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:35:35 AM »
I sure wish I knew what happened to my Oldefar's guns that he must have brought over from Trondheim in 1869.  Long gone now is the family farm in South Dakota (now sadly a soybean field for someone else).