Author Topic: Joseph Massey Gunsmith Charleston, SC 1740  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Salkehatchie

Joseph Massey Gunsmith Charleston, SC 1740
« on: August 23, 2008, 03:18:55 AM »
Well...it has been a while, but...

Joseph Massey is listed as being a Gunsmith in the Congregational Church of SC around 1740.  Not sure of the exact date.  Also, he was the first man to print and...ENGRAVE paper money in SC.  Fits, huh?  He is also, [busy guy] listed as the head of a company of Militia.  Do not have the specifics on the militia company yet.

He is related to my Ballentines from Scotland who are in SC around...1720 or earlier.  Who are also listed as gunsmiths and indian traders into GA with the Cherokee there.

Now if he was a gunsmith and an engraver....wow!  Wonder if there are any fowlers laying around with silver inlay somewhere in the family attics in SC!?

Will keep you folks posted!

Offline Salkehatchie

Re: Joseph Massey Gunsmith Charleston, SC 1740
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:22:13 AM »
Well, still digging!  Going back this far in the south is a chore to say the least.

Found where the one father in law, Patrick Ballantine b. in Scotland abt. 1680 was in SC around...1710 [or before] and his occupation on his will is listed as gunsmith.  We have Massey, Ballentine the younger and Ballentine the older.

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 11:51:28 PM »
OK.  Got some more info.  Will have the copies of original documents on this, "soon".  Before Tksgiving maybe?

Also, there is mention of French Huguenots coming from Ireland, as gunsmiths in Charleston, SC in the 1690's.

Those records will also be copied and posted when they arrive.

Thanks.

Offline tom patton

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 07:17:49 PM »
OK.  Got some more info.  Will have the copies of original documents on this, "soon".  Before Tksgiving maybe?

Also, there is mention of French Huguenots coming from Ireland, as gunsmiths in Charleston, SC in the 1690's.

Those records will also be copied and posted when they arrive.

Thanks.

The Edict of Nantes issued April 13 1598 by Henry IV of France provided for the religious toleration of French Huguenots {Protestants} and was revoked in October,1685 by Louis XIV.  Huguenots, many of whom were gunsmiths, fled France in droves to Liege,the Netherlands, England and America. One family,the Ferrees, emigrated first to England and in 1708 to New York and later to Lancaster, Pa. in 1712. guns by members of this family  are shown by Shumway and Kindig. I have always felt that the French Huguenot influence on American long rifles has been long neglected by long rifle students epecially as regards the Lehigh Valley guns.It would not appear to be a  stretch to see French architecture on very early South Carolina fowling pieces.. The name,Massey doesn't appear to be French in origin nor does the Protestant church affiliation . I have gone a little far afield here but I just thought it might help your research into early South Carolina material.

Incidently the Ferree family information was from "Ferree Family Gunsmiths" by Major George Bennett Ferree {1967} published by the Fort Wayne Public Library,Fort Wane, Indiana.
I hope this helps.
Tom Patton
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 07:28:21 PM by tom patton »

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 11:15:10 PM »
Mr. Patton:

Thank you.  We also have connections back to the Netherlands.  A will in 1720 "ish" mentions relatives there and in England as well.  My cousin is going to devote particular attention to the French gunsmiths of early SC when she has the time.

Correct, Massey is not French, he is Scottish I believe or Virginian.  Massey are in Hanover, VA.  His wife was from a Ballentine [Scottish] and the wife's mother was French.  And the wife's grandmother on the father's side was also French.  So there is the tie in.

As usual, I will keep everyone posted.  And will attempt to look at those sources.

PS:  These families also had ties to the Mannakintowne, VA settlement in later years via Abraham Motte.