Author Topic: schimmel butts  (Read 16003 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: schimmel butts
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 07:15:38 PM »
I got to see and handle a couple of these a few years ago.  One by Boyer, the other with the barrel marked "A. Angstadt" (I believe the same one that has been pictured on this board...).

Both were nicely shaped, though somewhat "oversized", particularly the Boyer gun.  The surfaces were definitely rough...comparatively speaking.  Both had varnish on them and some kind of stain, looked like ordinary pigment stain, but I can imagine that they left the shop with nothing at all on them as to stain or finish.

The butt ends were rough and beat up, naturally, but really none the worse for wear, considering.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

The other DWS

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
OK,  thanks guys

"Today we tend to over do a schimmel rifle."

that 'splains my confusion.  the actual "schimmel" was the bottom-line door-buster, price-point, entry-level version;  but since today the guys making them are craftsmen its hard not to make them as nicely finished, (but un-ornamented) as they can

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 10:50:45 PM »
As I understand it, people have actually found these barn guns stuck up in the framework of old barns!  Something that would go "bang" when the opportunity of a deer or turkey or something presented itself while the farmer was working outside.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »
As I understand it, people have actually found these barn guns stuck up in the framework of old barns!  Something that would go "bang" when the opportunity of a deer or turkey or something presented itself while the farmer was working outside.

Your looking at the food critter angle.  Don't forget they had to do their own predator control also.  A fox could put a big crimp in egg production, so to speak.

Bill K.