Author Topic: Getting an antiqued look on new wood  (Read 5727 times)

Offline Dave B

Getting an antiqued look on new wood
« on: February 01, 2010, 05:07:37 AM »
I have been working on a project the customer wanted a lighter aquafortis finish on and I got the color right but it was just a little too new looking, bright may be a better word. I thought that to get some of the caving to pop I would smoke the areas with my little oil lamp and wipe down the area leaving a darker lamp black in the grooves. Well it didn't work like I wanted the soot wont collect in the deep recesses but it did change the tone of the wood to a muted subdued shade. I took the lamp to the rest of the stock and holy cow its just what I have been trying to get a finish to give that old been on the mantel for 100 yrs look. I have yet to put any other sealers or fillers on it but I think its ready to go now.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Getting an antiqued look on new wood
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:19:20 AM »
Smokin' again, Dave?

Hahahaha.

That sounds like a good idea. I have mixed lampblack oil paint in with the top coats of varnish, but it's messy. Rub back the stock, and that leaves the dark in the nooks and crannies.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 05:22:19 AM »
Dave,

Sounds interesting.  When you wiped it down, did you use any sort of liquid or just a dry rag?  Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:04:09 AM »
The rag I am using is actually a piece of #12 canvas duck scrap. It burnished the wood as I rubbed it down dry. I used scrapers to smooth the wood on this piece. It is my first time with the scrapers all the way.  I like the results. I will stain up a scrap of the same stock wood so you can see the color difference. I guess some may like the brighter color but I am very please with the SMOKIN finish I got goin here ;D I will post some photos
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:01:27 AM »
This is the scrap of maple from the same blank the rifle is made from. With only the aquafortis from L&R Trading co. Sweet Home, OR. (Robin & Larry Eubanks) Nice folks,,,, Um Ok  its their McKenzie River Aquafortis. It has a lighter color than the Wahkon bay stuff I have from TOW which is what I normally have used in the past. Here is the pictures of the stock after smokin it with the oil lamp and rubbin it back with the canvas fabric.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:30:47 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Lord Calvin

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:17:48 PM »
That did tone it down quite a bit, nice looking rifle. Good job.

Regards,  Cal

ronward

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:11:06 AM »
 that does look good! beutiful patchbox! is that one you cut out?

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 07:01:30 AM »
That does give it a nice look. Everyone has their own thing that works well for them. I, as Acer suggested as well, use lampblack oil paint though I mix it with a little flat black Rustoleum to make it set in this lifetime. Around carving and in low areas. Feather it with a soft cloth. After a coat or two of varnish and varnish over the top of that. This is just to soften the rifle as old finishes tended to oxidixe in the low areas. I also rub the high areas. A little honest use really looks good on top of that. The really convinsing antique look that Mike Brooks and Eric K. get is a art in itself.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 07:14:48 AM »
Thanks,
It is blank box kit from TOW.  Took the idea of the pattern from a York Co. rifle If memory serves.
I have cut out only a couple of these with piercings using a jewelers saw and a hand full of little tiny blades. I broke about six of them cutting this one out. I learned by the end of the process that you cant rush the slim blade. I also remembered half way through that some one talked about using beeswax to lube the blade and it made a huge difference in how well it worked.

Bill,
When you say rustoleum are you using a brush to put that into the crevices or an air brush/ or spray can?
Dave Blaisdell

keweenaw

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 04:51:25 PM »
To do the shadowing I use bone black.  It's exceedingly fine powdered carbon.  Put on a coat of oil finish and dust in the bone black off the bristles of a soft tooth brush.  Brush it into the crevices, areas to darken with another soft tooth brush.  Feather it out by wiping with a rag.  You can also use it to darken surfaces in general and it doesn't put any strange oils into the finish.

Tom

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 06:28:43 PM »
Better bash that up a bit, guns don't pick up patina with out some bashes. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »
Dave, any brush. I jsut wipe it of leaving what i want behind.