Author Topic: 2010 ~ 200 Yard Patched Round Ball Match  (Read 44517 times)

Offline Canute Rex

Re: 2010 ~ 200 Yard Patched Round Ball Match
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2012, 02:30:55 AM »
I would like to try and embarrass myself at 200 yards. The problem is that I live in a heavily forested and mountainous section of Vermont. Finding a stretch of land around here that -

- Is cleared
- Is reasonably flat
- Has a good backstop
- Isn't in a populated area
annnnd
-Is 200 yards long in a straight line

...is nearly impossible.

I might be able to lay out 100 yards that doesn't slope too much on an old logging road out back, but 200 yards... Our 4-lane highways aren't that straight around here. You might find 200 yards of flat land down by a river, but that's where they put the towns.

I'd participate in a 100 yard postal match, and maybe even cut down a couple of trees to do it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2012, 08:08:08 PM »
Great idea CR...go ahead and set it up.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
I would like to try and embarrass myself at 200 yards. The problem is that I live in a heavily forested and mountainous section ...
I'd participate in a 100 yard postal match, and maybe even cut down a couple of trees to do it.
Yes.  I have one section 100yds of logging lane out of 73 acres that's suitable.  Possibly more after the logging is done, but never going to be 200 out there...i'll go postal.  (when i get the dang thing together)
Hold to the Wind

• Member 3
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2012, 08:58:07 PM »
I don't like to sound negative, but have a look at these stats...13410 of you have read this thread, obviously some of us several times, and only three targets that I can remember have been submitted.  I'd say there isn't a lot of interest in shooting to 200 yards, if this is an indication.
Perhaps more of you would feel more comfortable at 100 yards?
D. Taylor Sapergia

Daryl

« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »
I agree, Taylor  perhaps a 100yard contest would be more acceptable. What do you think, Candle Snuffer?
I do like Steve's idea of a 200yard turkey shoot, but easily and cheeply aquired targets would be difficult to come by. Too, there are a lot of people on this site who visit all interesting-sounding threads, but who don't shoot very much at all. Of course reasons could be availability of suitable sites. 50 yards or 100yards is much easier than 200 in many localities.

The first year I held a postal chunk match here at ALR, I had 36 entries but of those 36 sets of targets sent out, only 24 entrants returned their targets to me for scoring. I think those were the numbers.  The second time we ran it, I had 13 entries I think, but with 8 to 10 returns - I might be out a couple the second time, going from memory. In postal matches this sort of thing is often the result.

Offline LH

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »
Interesting theory.  How does this fit in with what yall have found shootin 200yds? 
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/wosika.htm

Daryl

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
Initially there were a lot of interested shooters in the 200 yard event - fellows here who said they were going to enter that match. Either they didn't get around to shooting the match, or didn't want to post their results - it's hard to say- 200yards is a long poke for a round ball- especially form sitting, prone and offhand.  Perhaps moving to a closer range event might promote greater participation?

Offline LynnC

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »
Daryl, If you make the match a 100 yards, how will that affect the size of the target?

When this match first appeared I had no access to a 200 yard range but that may change soon.

I can just squeeze out 100 yards on my out back range - maybe I could compete er embarrass myself  ::)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:05:53 PM by LynnC »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Daryl

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »
Having the range is another problem many guys face.
Size of the target depends on the target - animal, as in a turkey, buffalo or bulls-eye, square or round? - shooting position? more parts of the equation.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2012, 01:38:20 AM »
i've read and re-read the thread...looking for those targets and all the partikkulars.

absolutely love to shoot matches, but hain't got my snuff together long enough to make a gun to shoot.

somebuddy ship me a rifle and and i'll post some targets.  snicker giggle.

On a more realistic note, the D5 is back in my woods so when we wind the loggin' down and re-open my driving lanes, i'll try to work out a 600' section with a nice bump on the end to catch the lead.   but i'm just one shooter.

Hold to the Wind

Daryl

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2012, 02:50:48 AM »
Is anyone else on this board from your vicinity, Wade?  It's always more fun and challenging to shoot with friends.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2012, 06:20:13 AM »
Is anyone else on this board from your vicinity, Wade?  It's always more fun and challenging to shoot with friends.
Yes, four or five on here, and my closest group shoots monthly about 45 miles away, but since i'd rather not borrow from those i don't know yet...you'll still need to ship me something 45 to 54 ish that's collecting dust thank you very much.  ;)

As I unnerstand it, though, the locals don't do any scoring-just meet and burn powder.  It's their apple cart, so apples it'll be.

I'll have to travel to cut lines for prizes i reckon.  (oranges eh?)

And also yeah (all fruit aside) if i get nice lane cleared, i'll have others join me here...plus there are trails coming (eventually-MTB stuff) for _extended_ trail walks.
Hold to the Wind

Daryl

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2012, 07:34:11 AM »
That sounds just great, Wade - spring's a-coming in only another 5 months now.

dagner

« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:06 PM »
taylor  the gimmer muzzle loader club  south of st louis mo has a 75 to 200 yard  round ball shoot once a month  9 months a year
dag

• Member 3
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »
Dag...then you're a lucky guy!  There is nothing like routine practice and especially with like minded friends, to improve your shooting and enjoyment of it.  We here in Prince George gather every Sunday and shoot our trail walk, then go for coffee/lunch at a nearby restaurant.  this routine has become entrenched, and thoroughly enjoyed by all of us.  It is remarkable how the level of shooting has improved because of it too.  Whenever a group of PG shooters shows up at a match, they generally take a lot of the prizes home.
D. Taylor Sapergia

FlyingZebra

« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2013, 06:18:25 AM »
I think I'll give this a try with the new Zihn .62 or my late dad's .50
Maybe both - both are flint rifles.

I have yet to shoot targets with the Zihn, and hope to get it out tomorrow on the 100, if all goes well there I'll take a poke at the 200
We're in high desert at 5000 feet.  Very low humidity come spring and summer, and usually calm wind around sunrise.
Should be fun!

Cheers
John

• Member 3
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »
Good luck with that John.  Let us know how you make out.  Shooting out to 200 yds. is a challenge.
D. Taylor Sapergia