Author Topic: Question about cutting out a profile  (Read 4518 times)

Bioprof

Question about cutting out a profile
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:17:50 AM »
If you want to cut out a profile of a rifle to send out to have the barrel channel inletted and the ramrod hole drilled, how high do you leave the top of the forestock?  Do you leave it the same height as where the top of the barrel would be, or do you go ahead and cut it down to where the top of the forestock would actually be on the finished rifle?

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: Question about cutting out a profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:35:58 AM »
I cut a rough profile about 1/16th over, the just send it to Dave rase, and tell him it's that much over, and you get a perfect inlet barrel, and ramrod channel.  The rest is your problem.  Ya gotta tell the inletter, or else it's up to him to guess what ya want.  It does help to draw the inlet profile on the side with barrel, and ramrod  depth.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:51:16 AM »
When I send Dave Rase my  stocks I just mark where I want the breach of the barrel to be. I don't worry about cutting out a profile till I get the stock back with the barrel inlet.
Only then do I lay out my pattern on the wood to then cut the profile.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »
I send Rase an uncut blank w/ the pattern drawn, breech end and bbl line marked from the top and side, length of lower forestock, web thickness at muzzle and breech, top of forend 1/32" below bbl centerline and bottom of upper forend 1/32" below RR centerline. He holds these dims. doggone close and does a bang up job....Fred

eagle24

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:34:51 PM »
I send Rase an uncut blank w/ the pattern drawn, breech end and bbl line marked from the top and side, length of lower forestock, web thickness at muzzle and breech, top of forend 1/32" below bbl centerline and bottom of upper forend 1/32" below RR centerline. He holds these dims. doggone close and does a bang up job....Fred

He has one of mine now.  That's exactly what I did also.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 01:31:26 AM »
Hint, Hint.  I think the answer is send it to Dave and it 'll be done right.  Ya can s[]\end us a gratuity any time Dave for all the plugs. ;D ;D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

El Mac

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 08:06:55 AM »
Anyone willing to spare me Dave's contact number/email...or anyone else that does a good job at barrel channeling...

Thanks...

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »
Dave Rase  360-479-1888

El Mac

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 06:31:36 PM »
Thanks Ron!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 08:08:31 PM »
Dave does GREAT work.  He will tell you how you should prep the stock.  He had me cut the basic profile, (to save shipping), lay out the barrel channel, web, and ramrod channel, he modified it slightly, and gave me a PERFECTLY inlet barrel channel.  I'm talking not even able to get a razor blade between barrel and wood any where along the inlet.  Profiled the sides of the barrel channel down to just below centerline.

Nice guy, nice work. Done quick.
In His grip,

Dane