Author Topic: ALR Museum Gunsmith: Enoch Morse, Jr.......Illinois  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Museum Gunsmith: Enoch Morse, Jr.......Illinois
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »
The Museum Committee proudly exhibits the work of Enoch Morse, Jr of Illinois
Here is the URL:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8823.0

Please present you comments as a reply here
Thank you
The Museum Committee

scooter

Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith: Enoch Morse, Jr.......Illinois
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:29:52 AM »
It is wonderful that ALR is including some non=PA area guns! Having had a hand in OH 5 vols I can say that when I set up to photo other than in OH many disparaged th guns that were not Eastern PA Golden Age. Thanks for making this + Sam Smitrh's work available.

trandall18

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 08:12:43 PM »
Hello,
I joined here in hopes of learning more about E Morse Jr. We have a long rifle by/stamped E Morse Jr just like this example. Our is not in tiger maple but has similar brass inlay, patch box and other brass work. Similar barrel and styling. There is no brass work on the cheek piece but it has a similar wood line. I was very excited to find the additional information on E Morse Jr! My cousin had take the rifle to Cabella's for help in identifying it. They weren't much help and commented that it may have been a "squirrel rifle" given it's small caliber? I measured the barrel opening at roughly 3/8" which converts to .375 so would that be roughly equal to a .38 caliber and is that small for a long rifle?

The posting states that it's "the only known rifle by this maker", but since we have one also I guess that should be updated. I'd be curious as to it's value too.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:12:36 PM »
Great Trigger guard , neat trigger & elegant patchbox.   Value depends how bad someone wants it.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 11:25:07 PM »
A very nice example of Enoch Morse, Jr.'s work. There have been a couple of other rifles by him come to light since mine was added here several years ago, including an original halfstock.