Author Topic: Dixon and sons powder flask  (Read 4280 times)

fix

Dixon and sons powder flask
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:03:23 PM »
Someone mentioned to me that, I might want to get a more recent powder flask and put mine on the shelf, as it may be collectible.

I don't know anything about collectible flasks, as I only have three. I use this one because it works well.

So, I thought I would ask. Should I avoid letting this thing bang around in my shooting bag. I have other options, and the reproduction ones aren't all that expensive. I'd hate to mess up something really nice, especially since I need a powder flask but not a collectible one.

I'll try to attach a photo as soon as I go look up how to do it.

Thanks

fix

Re: Dixon and sons powder flask
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »
Photo of said powder flask...maybe.

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:24:02 AM »
I have something similiar to that by the same company, does it have a graduated adjustable spout? if so it's a shot flask for measuring shot for a shotgun or fowler.

fix

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 12:36:02 AM »
It does have an adjustable spout.

I inherited it with a bunch of other stuff. I'm fairly certain my grandfather always used it for powder (it had powder in it when I got it). He used a leather shot bag, that also came with the stuff, but it's nearly rotted through.

Should I take it out of the shooting bag?
I'm thinking about making a powder horn anyway, so it will likely be moved to a display shelf soon.
I just hate to mess up nice things, and I toss that bag around a bit more than I should.

omark

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 02:33:32 AM »
i know nothing of the monetary value, but i hate to see nice original equipment used to excess and damaged. i have a few nice things from my gdad but i dont take them out to use them.   jmho  mark

fix

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 03:34:12 AM »
I do have a collection of stuff I don't take out from my grandpa. He used this stuff all the time.
It's really just a matter of how time has made it more valuable. All of the stuff I have from him would have been used by him. He didn't buy wall decorations. It might all be really old but he used it right up until he couldn't get out to shoot anymore.

I'll probably put this one away, and just buy a cheap one to throw in the bag. The local store here has a twelve dollar one, that should work.

I do have some questions about powder horns as well, but I'm thinking it might need its own thread.

Thanks