Author Topic: The fly on the wall  (Read 22298 times)

don getz

Re: The fly on the wall
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »
Thanks Dave, Jerry....I think Monte could do just about anything and it would be done well.  If he's making furniture, I'm
sure it's good stuff, and there is a big market out there for it.  It would be great if he could come to the CLA show and
exhibit some of the guns he has ever built......I know you would leave the show talking about them......Don

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »
I'm very fortunate in as much as I often get to hang out in Taylor Sapergia's shop, and I've even been known to drop in on Cody.  Both have been extremely generous with their time and advice.  I doubt their extordinary skill will rub off on me - but at least I know how some things "should" be done!  ;)

Now ..... if I could just make it to Allen Martin's shop, and Eric K, and, and, and, and

I have a lot of "flying" to do  ;D
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 01:56:30 AM »
  I doubt if Monty Mondarino has any of his muzzle loades to display. I think  I know who bought most of them and I'ts doubtfull anybody will ever see them in person again.  What Don says is true, what ever he does you can bet it will be very hard to find better or equal quality.  I would guess he might have some modern guns he has done .  When you build high art stuff it has a tendancy to burn you out faster than usual. It's a  high stress game. Monty indicated to me that he was kind of at that point.
   Skill doesn't rub off it's  earned,  learned and refined.
When you look at something that seems humanly impossible to do, don't say to yourself, I could never do that.
 Just say, I haven't learned that yet.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 02:01:46 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 04:12:17 AM »
jerrywh wrote:  "When you look at something that seems humanly impossible to do, don't say to yourself, I could never do that.  Just say, I haven't learned that yet."

I don't know about flies on my wall, but I could hang that quote on my wall.  Pretty good way of thinking, if you ask me.

-Joe

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 02:03:17 AM »
I would love to meet with all the people mentioned above, I suppose, perhaps because he was one of the early ones and an exceptionally talented individual John Bivins would have been my first choice. When I first started getting interested in muzzleloading I read many of his articles and always wanted to have a chance to talk with him in person. It was a shock when I heard he passed away.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 04:57:54 AM »
i would love to spend the rest of my days in Alaska,,not far from the brennans,,,,,,,,,!!!

Alaska is not for everyone.
But again I have some land for sale at Delta Jct...

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

nthe10ring

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 10:13:40 PM »
I was lucky enough to know John Bivens, Lew Sanchez a mutual friend introduced us and I can say John was a prince of a guy and one of the most talented craftsmen that I have ever met. As an aside on Monte I remember when he moved to Winston Salem to apprentice to John, he was young guy then and one day Lew and John and I were at a shoot over near Carthage and just walking along and shootin the bull, and Lew ask John how Monte was doing. He said he's real sharp but it takes him all day to draw out his carving, needless to say he's come a long way since then. Monte's stuff sure sets the bar pretty high for others aspiring to that quality of work. And a nice guy to boot. Sure miss ol John and Lew, they both went way to young.

Jerry Fisher

eagle24

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 12:12:59 AM »
Any builder that builds Southern Rifles and I could learn something from.  That's abouut any builder that builds Southern Rifles. ;)

Daryl

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 03:08:34 AM »
I get to watch Taylor work at times as I just drop in, drink his coffee or beer and watch. Not a word spoken while he's working - ya right! me keep my big mouth shut? - not a chance.
:  He is good to watch, though for tricks of the trade and general building. Very meticulous and everything must be done correctly.