Author Topic: double based front sights  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Dave B

double based front sights
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:42:19 PM »
I have a rifle that shows evidence of having a second dovetail close to the first dovetail for the front sight at the muzzle. I have run across this detail on some rifles with southern heritage. Was this a feature that was used else where as well? It is possible that someone just installed the first sight too far back and it was reinstalled further forward. Who knows  the apprentice may have been French ;D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/DaveB44/DSCN4738-1.jpg
Dave Blaisdell

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: double based front sights
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:58:25 AM »
Dave,
I've seen several Virginia and NC made rifles with double dovetailed front sights and at least one SC rifle with a triple dovetail.
The rifle you posted pictures of is different. I think the two dovetails are too far apart to have been used on a single sight blade. Obviously that is just an opinion but they are much farther apart than any I've seen.
That leaves a real question as to what was going on with your rifle. We know that sights were often moved as the owners vision changed. Usually the hind sight is moved farther down the barrel as near vision failed. Maybe the owner of your rifle had the fore sight moved for a similar reason or to get the absolutely longest sight radius. Wasthe hind sight also moved?

Just when you think you've seen everything something like this turns up!
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:48:18 AM »
This is a picture of a double based site I took several years back at the Norris Show.  I'm pretty sure it was on a Gillespie rifle.  I'm sure Dennis can chime in but it would be considered a NC rifle.  Others I have seen had the site bases closer together than this one. 
I agree with Gary the ones on your rifle seem to be pretty far apart to be for a double based site. 
Ken

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:50:06 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »
That looks like the Philip Gillespie rifle that I said had the 37 inch barrel. I know that Sam Everly had that rifle at the Norris show 2 or 3 years ago. Sam had been doing some work on the rifle and he had it on display.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 10:51:18 PM »
Sheesh, not only did he use two dovetails but he put the sight on backwards??  ;) ;)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:39:05 AM »
Sheesh, not only did he use two dovetails but he put the sight on backwards??
More likely NC style ;D Now I will catch it from some of the Tarheels on ALR!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

dannybb55

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:29:14 AM »
I am sure that the sight looks the same either way from the breech end.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 03:15:38 AM »
The front site of the first rifle shown was replaced with a new site in a new location.

The Guilford County - Jamestown School in North Carolina is largely known for their double brass dovetailed based front sites.  This was the largest School in the South with at least 87 named gunsmiths.  Around 70% of their longrifles came with double brass dovetailed based front sites.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs