Author Topic: G Kevil Bambi Bag  (Read 8134 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
G Kevil Bambi Bag
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:52:48 AM »
I posted one of George's bags a little while back, and teased about this one.

Here it is.  I've seen the original bag in photos before, and here's his interpretation.

There is some debate however as to whether this is a Bambi bag or a Rudolph bag.

In His grip,

Dane

omark

Re: G Kevil Bambi Bag
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:26:44 PM »
ill go with rudolph,,,,,,either way, very well done.  :) mark

Offline bigbat

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:48:56 AM »
I made this bag two years ago. Do great minds converge at certain points?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:02:46 AM »
Scott,

I'll tell you about how great minds converge.  George built that bag, and another one a month or so ago for me.  Now you're building me a horn to go with them.

Go figure.
In His grip,

Dane

george kevil

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
Scott,
There was no converging.Andy wanted a bag and I made the mistake of showing him about 50 different pictures and he picked your  bag for me to copy. It was fun watching him choose.
This is one of the first vinegar stains I've every used.It left the leather kinda of stiff and for a week I had to  beat it up. My daughter wanted me to paint the nose red but I just stuck a piece of thread under the nose as a  joke.
George

Offline bigbat

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »
Well George, Its a fine pouch, you did a wonderful job on it and I am honored you liked mine enough to use it as a pattern. Again, nice job.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 06:58:35 PM »
I posted one of George's bags a little while back, and teased about this one.

Here it is.  I've seen the original bag in photos before, and here's his interpretation.

Someone tell me about the original bag or where you saw the photos of the pouch.  I know Ken Scott made a similar shot pouch several years ago with a running deer, stars, and the moon on the front flap.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline bigbat

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 12:17:15 AM »
I have never seen an original lke that.  I just thought what the heck?  I made one for Robert Weil with a Turkey and a Palmattoe Tree on it at the same time.  I may have been inspired by one of Ken Scotts bags, I cant remember.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 06:31:27 AM »
Got two of Georges bags at Phoenix last week and saw this deer me bag then or a picture of it. Its a good looking bag as all of his other work is too. Really like his lining on the bags I got and the staining too.  Gary

Ole Doc

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 07:27:44 AM »
actually has a nice day in the woods look about it ... well done.

Jefferson58

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 05:22:28 PM »
It is a cool pouch, or they are both cool pouches. Also, I think there were three great minds running in similar circles. Following is a photo of Ken's pouch that was posted on Contemporary Makers a while back.

Jeff

george kevil

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »
Hey Jeff,
Where did you find that one? I have one stuck in my computer that I keep trying to post that is a little different Only that it has a big flower or sun in the upper corner.It also is a Scott bag. I gotta try that fringe thing if I can find the patience to cut that many times without screaming. I don't know how you do it.
George

Jefferson58

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »
George:

This photo was on Contemporary Makers last year or so. I think if you do a search for Ken Scott on there, it will come up. I have never seen the other one you are referring to.

The fringe thing is extremely time-consuming. On occasion you just have to walk away for a short while. I cut it with either a sharp utility knife or a small, sharp  pair of side cutters. The results are cool, but it will make you scream.

Jeff

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 08:03:20 PM »
The Ken Scott shot pouch with the deer, stars and a large full moon is shown on Ken's web site.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

george kevil

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 01:40:18 AM »
I've got the other one that Randy mentioned right here. I tried to send it to the  board and to Jeff but it keeps bouncing. I guess we don't really need to see it.
George

RoaringBull

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 06:23:37 AM »
The scallopped edging on the top bags flap...is that hand cut or a stamp or what???  I want to copy that look and can't cut it to where it looks even close to that great...

Offline Kermit

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 06:38:32 PM »
I've cut scallops like that using a carving gouge. Just careful alignment of the gouge, hit it with a mallet, back it up with a soft pine board. Practice on scrap.  :-[
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

george kevil

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 04:01:18 AM »
To make the scallops I take a round  punch and grind half of it off. I then lay a straight edge where I want the scallops and hold the punch up against that and pound away. I actually clamp the straight edge down. You have to use some scrap first to figure out how close to put the punch next to the other one after making the previous cut. Hope this helps
George

RoaringBull

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »
Thank you Kermit and George.