Author Topic: Mule ear double rifle by Losey  (Read 6777 times)

Offline Canute Rex

Mule ear double rifle by Losey
« on: February 12, 2010, 02:06:53 AM »
Here's an odd rifle I saw when visiting friends who were vacation house-swapping in Calabogie Ontario. Apparently Robbins was a well known barrel maker in the mid 19th century. I had never seen a mule ear double rifle before, but then I don't get out much.

Couldn't see the rifling, if there was any left.

Anybody know anything about this "B Losey"?

Interesting spike front trigger. I didn't check to see if it was one trigger per hammer or both hammers from one set trigger.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: Mule ear double rifle by Losey
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 02:44:26 AM »
Although mule-ear over & under double rifles might seem unusual in some parts of the country, there were quite a number of New York State gunsmiths who made them.  This one was made by Benjamin Losey, who was a member of a well known family of gunsmiths. Benjamin was the youngest son of Abiel Losey, and brother of John Losey, also gunsmiths.  He was born in Otsego County, New York, June 12, 1816. He worked in Mott's Corners (now Brooktondale), New York, from the late 1840's through the mid-1870's, and in Syracuse, New York, 1879-1884. He died in Chicago, Illinois, March 13, 1896. There are many pages devoted to the Losey family and their various partnerships in Volume 3 of THE NEW YORK STATE FIREARMS TRADE by Holman J Swinney, compiled by Tom Rowe.

Judging from your pictures, I would say that this rifle has double-set triggers which will fire whichever barrel has the hammer cocked....or both of them, should the need arise.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:47:42 AM by Curt J »

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:49:33 AM »
Thanks for the information. Set triggers makes sense.

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:44:53 AM »
CurtJ about covered the Losey basics, Benjamin was also often listed as a barrel maker,  I would wonder from the markings if Robbins wasn't the Gun maker, using a B. Losey barrel.  The B. Losey marking matches the other Losey gun is the virtual museum, a Benjamin barrel on a John Losey gun.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6597.0

just a thought
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:50:23 AM by Rick Losey »
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Ben Gorey

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 05:48:22 AM »
Where does the "Robbins" marking appear on this rifle ?  Is it just a single name ?

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:20:35 AM »
Fourth photo, "W. E. Robbins." The photo is a little dim, sorry.

Ben Gorey

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 08:50:44 AM »
William E. Robbins, gunmaker of Cherry Flats, Tioga Co. PA  !847-1861  He is reported to have been a very prolific maker.  See:  "Small Arms Makers"  by Robert E. Gardner.  I have a single barrel rifle by him signed on the top flat  W.E.Robbins.  The bottom of the barrel is marked LULL.  Losey & Lull  gun and rifle barrel makers of Caroline, Tompkins Co. NY   1848-1850  Had very large barrel production from 1848-1861.Also see Gardner.  I have heard of O/U rifles by Robbins.   Tompkins Co. NY is just north of Tioga Co. PA.