Author Topic: Winchester Double barrel Percussion 16 ga.  (Read 3222 times)

Offline northup87

Winchester Double barrel Percussion 16 ga.
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »
Ok Ive heard through the grapevine of a Winchester Double barrel percussion in my town  that is a 16 ga. Do anyone have any info on if winchester made percussion double or if the name was actually of another maker which was just coincidence? I gotten the invite too see the gun and will try and take some pictures, but was hoping for a little prior knowledge going into the deal thanks A.J.
A.J. Downey

scooter

Re: Winchester Double barrel Percussion 16 ga.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:15:39 PM »
Oliver Winchester established his firm precisely to make breech-loading arms. There would be no authentic Winchester percussion shotgun. However, the Belgians of that era were era were true $*@~*$, ripping off famous names in persuit of selling their junk. It would not especially surprise me to find a trashy old shotgun with some variation of the Winchester name. Rest assured that this is absolutely, positively not a rare experimental, limited production, etc. US Winchester.

msmith

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:34:17 PM »
Winchesters first shotgun was a model 1887 lever action...They did import and sale, a 10 and 12 gauge double, between 1879 and 1884. ///the center rib had Winchester on it.Made in England, I think.Damascus barrels..Naturally it was of black powder era,but shot shotshells.possibly 10000 imported.This is probably the gun you refer to.Or as Scooter said some copy cat.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:08:20 PM »
Probably what you are hearing about is an outside hammer gun - a breechloader - that someone who doesn't know what they are looking at has called a percussion gun.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline northup87

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:33:28 AM »
Well I was leanign toward a belguim gun as well. I knew winchester started its company to make breech loading arms but wasnt sure if there was a proir smaller shop or import house that put there name on these guns. Im very thankful for the info...  The man I talked to was smart enough to remember that it had a ramrod with thimbles on barrel, so it is a blackpowder shotgun... I will find out breifly and let u know.. Thanks Again A.J.
A.J. Downey