Author Topic: Red beady or streaky fouling  (Read 2147 times)

William Worth

Red beady or streaky fouling
« on: February 22, 2010, 05:36:45 PM »
I know this has been covered but I can't find it in a search, it sticks in my mind, that the red beads or streaks often seen in BP fouling just inside the muzzle, is an indication that the powder is working near best efficiency.

But now what are the red beads or streaks composed of and what do they mean?  ???   :P   Saw this yesterday in low humidity shooting.

Offline Mad Monk

Re: Red beady or streaky fouling
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »
I know this has been covered but I can't find it in a search, it sticks in my mind, that the red beads or streaks often seen in BP fouling just inside the muzzle, is an indication that the powder is working near best efficiency.

But now what are the red beads or streaks composed of and what do they mean?  ???   :P   Saw this yesterday in low humidity shooting.

Actually they mean nothing.  It is simply the way some of the products of combustion form in the bore under different weather conditions.  Utterly nothing to do with the effeciency of a particular load.

Bill K.

roundball

Re: Red beady or streaky fouling
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:58:01 PM »

"...what are the red beads or streaks composed of and what do they mean?  ???   :P   Saw this yesterday in low humidity shooting..."

Same here...I get it every year like clockwork during the dry, low humidity months...see it on wiping patches, the muzzle, the vent, and the pan...as soon as the humidity gets back up they're no longer visible