Author Topic: spray from percussion gun  (Read 6613 times)

ERH

spray from percussion gun
« on: February 23, 2010, 01:57:21 AM »
I am new with percussion guns . Any suggestions on how to cut down or stop the spray from the nipple !!!!!!

BrownBear

Re: spray from percussion gun
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:01:20 AM »
I use flash cups on guns with drum bolsters.  You can cut them down a lot shorter than "factory" and they still work well.  In my hands, shorter makes de-cocking easier.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:56:22 AM »
I am new with percussion guns . Any suggestions on how to cut down or stop the spray from the nipple !!!!!!
What is it burning?  Your forward wrist - your forearm??
I tried the cup; but didn't like it.  Lost abt 1 thread of nipple threads and would get debris thrown up out of said cup against my forehead. (but I'm a stock crawler!!)I would consider taking your friendly dremel and turn the hammer nose cup deeper, this may change its 'aim' somewhat and cure whatever problem...  I also cut a V in the forward side of the hammer nose for a couple reasons including throwing the 'spray' a bit more foreward...

ERH

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:23:19 AM »
sprays me in the face !!! I hear that means main spring is weak???????

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:28:47 AM »

It's possible that the mainspring is too weak, but in my experience, it's more likely caused by the hole in the nipple being burned out.  Could also happen with heavy loads and one of those "hot shot" nipples with the transverse holes near the top.

-Joe

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
Try my suggestion regards turning that hammer nose deeper.  If any thing it should divert the debris downward and The V notch should aim it forward...!

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 06:10:19 PM »
Try my suggestion regards turning that hammer nose deeper.  If any thing it should divert the debris downward and The V notch should aim it forward...!

I use a cup AND a deep hammer notch.  The notch also helps with splitting the cap to a point where it is very easy to remove from the nipple.

Bill K.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »
Yes-, yes,  agree - deeper, slotted to the front & probably heavier mainspring.

The other DWS

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56:14 PM »
would an eroded out burned out nipple allow too much back pressure to cause the back spray?

I know that with my .45 cal percussion schuetzen if I use light 300 gr bullets there was little back spray but when I tried heavy 500 gr long range bullets with the same powder charge (about 40 gr of FFF) I not only got back spray but it blew the hammer back to half cock on occasion.  I suspect that the original nipple is about worn out. however since it seems to be an odd ball size I have not been able to find a replacement--yet

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:38:27 AM »
trackofthewolf has different sized nipples for a variety of different guns.  Do not shoot a gun with a worn nipple flash hole. Shooting slugs wears them out prematurely.  Some slug guns get only 10 shots from a stainless nipple.  They use platinum lines nipples fo shooting slugs.
Anytime you fire a shot and there is no cap left sitting, splayed, on the nipple, there is something wrong - fix it before firing another shot.  YOu have been cucky so far to not have a piece of copper cap fragment stuck in your nice shiny eyeball.

My wife carried one in her upper lid for years - little green spot - finally came out. She WAS wearing safety glasses at the time.  We firgued it bounded in off the other side of the frame.

Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 01:31:45 AM »
My wife carried one in her upper lid for years - little green spot - finally came out. She WAS wearing safety glasses at the time.  We firgued it bounded in off the other side of the frame.

Well ifn you were lettin' her shoot your 14 gauge, I s'pect her safety glasses shook off right way.  ;D

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 02:52:02 AM »
Naaa - she's like most all of the men around here, who hold up crossed fingers when I offer a shot from my 'little' rifle. I should note, that even with the 165gr. charge, there is always a spent cap to remove from it's nipple. With the mild trail load of 3 drams, I sometimes have to use the hook near the haft of my patch knife to remove the spent cap.  There is very little if any escaping gas at the nipple - which is shows a good lock, lock geometry and a good nipple.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:39:42 AM by Daryl »

Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 12:34:19 AM »
It's been a long while since I've shot percussion.  I do remember hating it when the cap didn't at least crack open.  Prying it off with a pocket knife was a pain.  And for some silly reason I kept imagining hostile natives bearing down on me with tomahawks. ::)

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:59:04 AM »
Hi, ERH,

It could be that the nipple is burnt out, an indicator is that it usually brings the gun to half cock.

I always used a cup and filed a slot in the cup the vertical length of it, and placed the slot away from the barrel to direct spray to the right away from my face.

Centershot

ERH

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »
thanks for everyones info the gun is new so i know the nipple is not burned out . I have a good idea that it is the main spring. It seams week to me but its new to so I don't know

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
Eric - what gun is it?  Does the lock have a coil spring or leaf spring?  Some parts supplied with production guns are not top quality- especially some imports and the nipple itself can very well be the problem.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »
If  you are using a cup  under the  nipple, it can cause any leakage from the  percussion cap to spray back into your face. I dislike the cups myself.
Gene

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »
Interesting - I have a cup under the nipple on my percussion pistol, which acts just like a fence is supposed to act. I assume that is the whole purpose of the cup for guns with drums.  The lock is a good one, though, with proper geometry.

ERH

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 02:43:23 AM »
I build the gun and it is a  john bailes lock