Author Topic: Canoe Gun  (Read 4491 times)

Rootsy

Canoe Gun
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:07:29 AM »
Have an acquaintance who acquired this from his grandfather.  Has been in the family since at least the Civil War.  The gentleman's grandfather stated that his grandfather had carried it during the war (g-g- grandfather).

At this point the cock will not release via trigger and he is looking for someone in Michigan who could faithfully make it safe and clean / stabilize it properly.   Destined to be a wall hanger. 

The barrel band is rattlesnake skin... Applied when??? who knows.  Please forgive the new fangled pea shooter in the photo.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 07:23:36 PM by Tim Crosby »

The other DWS

Re: Canoe Gun
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:07:36 AM »
looks east of Suez to me.

Offline Joey R

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:48:48 AM »
Yep, Too much mirage for me!!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

scooter

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:29:39 AM »
If his grandfather was a Yankee you can absolutely, positively, w/o a shadow of a doubt count that out! If CSA the chances are slightly better than absolute zero, but not much. The barrel seems to be a blunderbuss style and I agree w/ prebious post that stock style in 99.99% Mediterranean tourist trap junk. Not sure what you are asking of us, but no serious collector would pay any attention to it.

Rootsy

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:45:31 AM »
Everyone that replied to this thread knows more about it than me and the owner.  So any feedback is valuable.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:18:10 AM »
The gun was made in the middle east, never anywhere near north America during the civil war, nor did it ever see service by anyone in the civil war. It probably did see service atop a camel in some desert uprising somewhere around 1900-1920. Family histories get pretty confused after several generations.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

ottawa

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
what part of MI ? I know of one in monroe I'll be out that way this weekend and check if he is still doing  repair or retired
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:37:20 PM by ottawa »

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:30:44 AM »
Copy the photo into some good image software and enlarge it.

The lock,and guard may have started life as part on an English trade gun. If the barrel has English proof marks it may have been a blunderbuss made for the trade. Thousands of "trade guns" were sold into various parts of Africa.

A better picture and one of the inside of the lock or any proof marks would help to answer that question but it really doesn't matter in terms of value, period, or collectability. ;)

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Rootsy

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 02:02:55 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I have asked for more photos and any markings. 

Reckon in the title I should have included a few question marks.