Author Topic: Antique Horn & Bag  (Read 4191 times)

Offline nord

Antique Horn & Bag
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:03:37 PM »
Submitted by  Dr. James Whisker...

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:42:37 AM by nord »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Antique Horn & Bag
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:30:48 AM »
 Neat rig. trying to remember where have I seen that filigree pattern before? Is it made with seven different stamps?

Tim C.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:40:01 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question but is the strap attached to the front of the bag or is the horn attached to the back of the bag? It is very cool by the way!

The other DWS

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:52:05 AM »
'nother dumb FNG-type question:
 What was the point(s-- ;D) of the double horn?  actual utility?  fashion/art statement?

I had a large bison powderhorn at one time, held about a pound and a half of powder and was a PITA, or at least the upper back and shoulders in the woods and field. On a extended hunt where you'd do a LOT of shooting it seems to me a smaller horn and a small keg or other container of powder back in camp would be a lot more convenient.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:03:44 PM »
I made a double horn once because I had both horns and they were too small.  Worked fine for me.  Tapering the plug joining them so the powder would flow well was the only challenging part.  Sold it in the 70's and wish I had it back now.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »
 Shows how much attention I paid to the bag itself. I believe you are right, it does look like the back.

Tim C.

Jefferson58

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
I could be wrong (and often am), but I believe that we are looking at the front of the pouch. The straps are very wide, but appear to be attached at the side seams of the pouch. It looks like a small flap, or remaining piece of it, is visible behind the horn.

It is an interesting piece, and double horns are always fascinating. The strap itself is a real piece of work.

Jeff

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »
Nord or Dr. Whisker - the note on the photo indicates it is/ was in MESDA's collection- which would suggest its origin as being somewhere in Virginia, the Carolinas, or other parts of the southeast - is there any more information on the area it is believed to be from?

Thanks!

Guy

scooter

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 06:14:06 AM »
PHOTO was from MESDA; bag/ horn in a private collection.