Author Topic: Quality glover's needles source...?  (Read 3128 times)

Ghost

Quality glover's needles source...?
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »
 I'm referring to leather sewing needles [triangular tip] capable of sewing substantial leather thickness. Lately all I'm seeing is small stuff designed for [maybe] light suede handicraft projects. [Or they're 'out of stock' at buckskinner sites]. The eyes are inadequate for either linen or artificial sinew, much less standing-up to a sailor's palm and pliers use. Need to be about 3" long +  -really want to get a good selection of some sharp tempered needles capable of serious work.  TIA, Ghost

keweenaw

Re: Quality glover's needles source...?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:22:15 PM »
This company lists glover's, harness and sail making  needles in a wide assortment of sizes.  Know nothing else about them.

http://www.campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php/keywords/needles/sort/3a/page/2

Tom

Jefferson58

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:09:16 PM »
Try Landwerlen Leather in Indianapolis, IN. If they don't have it, it usually doesn't exist. I think the store has been there for over a 100 years or something. It is a treat to go in there.

Talk to Eric when you call. They can be reached at 317-636-8300.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

g.pennell

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:35:28 AM »
I used to dabble in taxidermy...still have some "cape needles" that I used for sewing incisions in deer mounts...the eyes are definitely big enough for artificial sinew.  Google WASCO or McKenzie Taxidermy Supply...they'll have 'em in all different sizes.

Greg

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 07:22:05 AM »
I just bought some #3 and #8 glover's needles on e-bay.  Amazon has them as well.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

odawa

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:56:46 AM »
You also try Crazy Crow or Noc Bay