Author Topic: Rifle Sling  (Read 3573 times)

Offline rsells

Rifle Sling
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:16:50 AM »
Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can purchase a traditional sling that would be correct for a Jeager rifle in the 1720 to 1750 time frame?  I need one for a project I am working on now, and have never have been down this road before.  The ones that are offered by muzzle loader supply folks just don't fit for me.  I need something hand made and of good quality.  Thanks for the help.
                                                                       Roger Sells

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Rifle Sling
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:22:15 PM »
Hi Roger, what kind of sling swivels are you going to use? For the button rear and loop front I used a hemp strap with leather ends from Track of the Wolf. It did not look right until I aged it (ground it into the dirt)  then applyed neets foot oil to it. That made it acceptable to my taste buds.
Joel Hall

Offline Joey R

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »
Roger, You may want to check with Ron Scott. I think he has some examples you may get some pics of. I think he may get his straps from Wilde Weavery???? Actual documentation and examples of the jaeger sling is very limited. Good luck!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 02:45:45 AM »
DGW has a listing that they claim is historically correct. Most other suppliers all carry the Jaeger sling from Leatherman. My experience with Leatherman is that it is well made stuff with and "old timey" look, but is not historically correct. You pays your money and makes your choice, but I don't like my gear to have machine stitching with nylon thread and a website adress stamped into it.

Offline rsells

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »
Thanks guys.  The folks at Wilde Weavery has the configuration of strap that I was planning on using.  I still haven't seen any reference photographs yet, but will just have to give it a best guess on what I like.
                                                                             Roger Sells

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
I generally see very plain, ordinary, conventional leather slings on German guns...in pictures, anyway, leather does not tend to survive long...
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."