Author Topic: HCH Horn  (Read 3585 times)

seesbirds

HCH Horn
« on: March 03, 2010, 03:16:13 AM »
Here's a horn I did and am donating to the Honourable Company of Horners for the auction at our annual meeting coming up soon.

the base and spout plug are made from birdseye maple which was once the flat gutter in a bowling alley.

Around the top and bottom of the horn I did border work of my own design which included elements I found when looking for art for this horn.

the bottom border includes a medallion with an image of three hares who share three ears.

This image was often found on the timber bosses in the ceilings of medieval churches.  Along with that image the image of the Greenman was also found on other timber bosses in the same churches.  since they seemed to go together I put them both on the horn.

This is a left side carry horn so on the outside I engraved an image of an eagle taking a hare

and since you can't take a photo of the whole image here are the tops of the wings

I left space on the other side for a cartouche with the owner's name.  Whoever takes it home from the auction I will offer to engrave their name on it.

Hope you like it.

As always constructive comment or critique is welcome.

regards,

mark

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
Re: HCH Horn
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:24:22 AM »
Mark, I'm putting extra money in my wallet right now!!!! ;D Great looking horn as usuall.  see you in Ohio. Mike
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Michigander

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:32:19 AM »
Mark,
I was wondering when we would see more of your work. You have obviously been busy. This is beautiful work. I especially like the spout end as well as the wood work on the plug end. As usual the scrim in between is fabulous!
I look forward to seeing it and meeting you in Ohio.
Best Regards,
Michigander
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:33:50 AM by Michigander »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:46:00 AM »
This is real  stunning example of craftsmanship. Creativity and exicution(sic). You have every right to show off your talent. Thanks for the treat.  Gary

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:14:40 PM »
Just...WOW!... Someday i would love to own one of your works. Amazing.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Jefferson58

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:04:34 PM »
Mark:

As usual, an absolutely gorgeous horn! I love all the elements, and that base plug is stunning. I am looking forward to seeing it in Ohio. 

Jeff

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:17:34 PM »
 Wow Mark, WHAT a horn, really nice work.

Tim C.