Author Topic: Tin chargers  (Read 15329 times)

amohkali

Re: Tin chargers
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 07:51:53 AM »
The body, or tube, portion of the measure was formed around bar stock purchased at the corner hardware store.  Different sizes for different bores.  ....
When I was doing this I was using acid flux and good lead/tin solder.  I have no idea how well this would go with the present lead free solder.  I know that this lead free solder is creating all sorts of problems in the electronic field.

Bill K.

Thanks for this description. It's inspired me to mess about with the tin plated sheet and solder I have.

Per T.C.'s idea I may try using a heated rod (the mandrel I wrap the tin around) as my heat source -- just put one end in the forge.

How'd you flare the end, or is that the end cap folded over?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 11:18:23 PM »
Bill,

Thanks a ton for the pictures and instructions.   I have been meaning to make up a few, now it will be easier.

Mark E.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 10:10:20 PM »
Bill,

Thanks a ton for the pictures and instructions.   I have been meaning to make up a few, now it will be easier.

Mark E.

I forgot to mention.

In one of Madison Grant's books there was a photo of a pan brush for flintlocks.  Basically one of the tin charger bodies.  No loop soldered on the tob.  A hole drilled in the middle of the cap.  Pig bristle tied to the end of a piece of soft iron wire that had a little back bend.  The wire holding the bundle of bristles/hair would be run up the inside and out through the cap.  The hair would fold in half as it entered the tube.  Any excess hair was simply cut by the mouth of the tube.  The wire extending up through the cap was formed into a loop after trimming to the desired length.

Also.
If you want the tin chargers or pan brush tubes to look well used it is no big deal.  I would place several in a shallow cup.  Sprinkle on a little black powder and then ignite the powder to coat the tin tubes with powder residue.  Then let them sit out back under the deck roof for a few days.  Tin has poor resistance to sulfur.  Foods high in sulfur were not packed in plain tin cans.  Now any sufur=bearing foods require a polymer coating over tin in food cans.  So you can play with that poor sulfur resistance to age tin plate items.

Bill K.

josephprivott

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
treated a little differerntly than monk's

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »
This is one M Monk kindly sent me years back and it is the only metal measure I use.
The store boughts are too heavy an tend to make dents in the rifle when hung from a thong.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
Easier for me to make them out of brass- maybe not PC, I guess - oh well.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 05:53:36 PM »
Those look great.  Seamless?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »
Hey folks, long time lurker, first time poster.

I made up a few tin chargers of the style in "Of Sorts for Provincials", the first few were made from steel ducting that I picked up at Menards, just to get my patterns down and get my brain reconnected in doing tinsmithing. 

Finally got some made up in actual tin sheet that I was able to get from the Master tinsmith that I spent the summer between High School and College working for.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 10:15:13 PM »
Looking good! Did you make your chain?

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »
No, the chain is from Joann's of all places, its the right style for the OSFP charger, is of a ferrous metal/steel, the only thing I  had to do was remove the extremely thin "Silver" plating that was on the chain.  At first I thought the metal was aluminium, but the refrigerator magnets do stick to it, so I decided to call it good for right now

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »
No, the chain is from Joann's of all places, its the right style for the OSFP charger, is of a ferrous metal/steel, the only thing I  had to do was remove the extremely thin "Silver" plating that was on the chain.  At first I thought the metal was aluminium, but the refrigerator magnets do stick to it, so I decided to call it good for right now

You might want to try your hand at jack chain.  A little wood block with two pins in it to do the forming.  Jack chain was also used in clocks in those days.  I used rolls of galvanized soft iron wire from the hardware store.  A little sandpaper would cut through the wire coating.
The iron wire is PC.  The Brits dumped large amounts of it into the port of Philadelphia into the early 1800's as Philly was noted for the production of "cards" to work flax, cotton, etc.

Bill K.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »
I use black iron wire that I get cheap as dirt from Brownells for my jack chain.  No sanding required.  it is good for all sorts of things.

Mark E.