Author Topic: " American Tradition"  (Read 8572 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
" American Tradition"
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:52:42 PM »
The new journal of the CLA just arrived at my door. What an absolutely high quality publication that all should consider, whether Contemporary or Antique focused. My hats off to its creators and publishers.
Hurricane

Offline debnal

Re: " American Tradition"
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:30:27 PM »
I totally agree. A first class effort with the best color pictures. Great ,thoughtful articles. I even saw a very old friend in the magazine. Way long ago I used to own the Davidson rifle and it was nice seeing it in the magazine.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:48:34 PM »
I am dying of anticipation!!!!!  maybe today????
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »
Guess I need to join the CLA!
John
John Robbins

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:32:52 PM »
Agree! Everyone should join. This organization does as much as any other one I know of, to educate the public on the history of the long rifle. Most people enjoy looking at the antiques, and understand that you don't shoot them, so the prospect of the same thing that is eminently shootable is quite appealing. This promotes many good things; more shooters, greater interest in the history of the country, and a much wider appreciation of the Second Amendment, in the mind of the public.
Oh yes, the magazine is stunning, and it is already a classic. A round of standing applause to Gordon Barlow and his colleagues for having the foresight to start the CLA and to promote the new as well as the old.
Dick

Bob Mac

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 12:53:04 AM »
I just joined the CLA this week. Does anyone know if this publication will be sent to new members automatically?

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 01:35:25 AM »
I believe there are still copies in stock to send to new members.  You should call and ask when you join!
Larry Luck

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 02:15:14 AM »
I just joined the CLA this week. Does anyone know if this publication will be sent to new members automatically?

There are some (about 200) spare copies on hand and they will be sent to new members as long as the supply lasts. The first issue was also sent to the Horners Guild and the KRA membership but future issues will be for CLA members only. They are already collectors items!

Go to this link to join:
http://www.longrifle.ws/membership/

Gary

P.S. Work on the second issue is underway and the list of authors includes some very well known builders and collectors.
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Joey R

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 03:10:48 AM »
I joined shortly before this thread started last week. I contacted Mel Hankla and he said I would receive a copy. Whew!! right under the wire.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Breadhead

• Common sense is uncommon.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »
I recieved mine as a member of the KRA.  Excellent quailty pictures and articles.  A real treat to read.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »
Got it Yesterday!!!   Excellent publication! great pictures and articles!!

Will there be an electronic version??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »
Well said Gary, Write it!!  

BTW it is very easy to put a magazine online that requires a paid subscription to a password protected site and the magazine is posted in Adobe Flash and is not copyable ( well at least not with easily attainable legal methods)....... It can be read online but NOT downloaded.

Many of our scientific journals are that way.   If you want a reprint of an article you have to buy it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:22:51 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline nord

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 04:42:10 PM »
Just plain gorgeous!

And if that wasn't enough it expresses the feelings of many here that contemporary masters are a worthy continuation of the art of the long rifle.

Certainly antiques are in their own category as they well should be. After all they've somehow survived almost two centuries. But the modern masters... Let's fact it, they rival and likely exceed many masters from the past!

A deeply meaningful and satisfying feeling to realize that others hold the belief that we should view both modern and antique pieces with respect and admiration. Also one of the primary reasons for the Library & Museum.

Thank you CLA!
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Mel Hankla

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »
Wanted to chime in here and let it be known that we are currently exploring what needs to be done to offer American Tradition to the CLA membership via the computer. It will stay a membership Journal and our plans are to make it available to members by logging in and presenting a password.

We want to be able to make CLA membership available 24/7 using a credit card, and the magazine immediately available upon confirmation of membership.

Folks, we have developed the structure, format, got article's written, photographs taken, a magazine printed and to the members in about 5 months - and all by volunteers ! We're learning, and growing !

The CLA membership has grown by leaps and bounds in the last three weeks and we are quickly running out of copies of the first issue. We're working on issue two and members of the CLA can expect it in their mailboxes mid to late July.

And... we're always looking for professional articles with great photography. To propose an article, please feel free to contact me at: melhankla@amhiss.com or call # 270-566-3370

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »
After putting off joining for a good long time, this new magazine finally spured me into action, so I'm one of those new converts and joined 3 or 4 days ago!

I also like the idea of on-line availability as I work out of town for extended periods of time.

Although I haven't seen the new magazine yet, thank you guys for going to the effort, which by all accounts sounds great!

John
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
John, you and I are in the same boat.  I joined on line three days ago, and just this morning I phoned the CLA office, and was advised that I would be receiving one of only 50 copies that are left.  Congratulations to the foundation members who have had the energy and foresight to create this Journal, and thus spur us into joining. 
When I was at Dixon's Fayre in July, it was my intension to join, but I ran out of $ buying tickets on the House Bros rifle.
Can't wait....!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 12:57:21 AM »
Thanks for that taylor, so maybe I have a chance of receiving one too!
However I won't know until I get off this ship and return home March 8th. Ohhhh, the wait!

John
John Robbins

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 02:15:50 AM »
John,

I hate to tell you this but it is already, as of today, March 11.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
Ooops! Make that April 8th ;D

John
John Robbins

Offline Joey R

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »
I also joined a week ago and I received my membership pack and American Tradition publication. Fantastic publication!!! Not only the quality but the spectrum of subjects  that it covers. Again, thanks to the folks that work on this project and the CLA.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill