Author Topic: ALR Museum Preview: Tioga Co, NY Historical Society Historic Firearms Exhibit  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
The Museum and Library Committee is honored to present to our members an on line, preview of the Tioga, Co (New York) Historical Society Historic Firearms Exhibit for those who will not be able to visit in person.

Here is the URL:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0

We thank them for this honor.
The Museum and Library Committee
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:13:00 PM by hurricane »

Offline Don Getz

Nord......where is Tioga County and Owego in New York?....What part of the state?    I also noted the name of Ogden quite often, is this the same ones that Ogdensburg was named after?   I have been to Ogdensburg to the Frederick Remington museum, which is outstanding..............Don

Offline nord

Don -

Owego, NY is located about 20 miles west of Binghamton on Rt 17. The museum sits directly on the Susquehanna River.

Should you decide to visit I can suggest a couple of routes...

Rt. 15 to Painted Post, then east on 17 to Owego. (Best & fastest)

Rt. 15 to Rt 14 at Steam Valley, then to Canton. 414 to Towanda, then north via 220 to Waverly, NY, then east on Rt.17 to Owego.

I doubt a connection with Ogdensburg.

Questions? Give me a call (607) 358-7435

Bruce Miller
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Dale Campbell

Any place east of Harrisburg, it might be faster to go up 81, then west on 17.

From the west take the first Owego exit.  Turn left off the ramp, and left again at the light. Go over the bridge, and left again on Front St.  The museum is a couple hundred yards down on the left.

From the east take the second Owego exit, turn left off the ramp. Go up over 17 and turn right, and right again to go over the bridge.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:13:10 PM by Dale C »
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Steve Collward

Guys:
  Thanks for posting this link and information on this exhibit.  I'm only two hours away and expect to visit within the next couple of weeks. 
  One item I find of interest is the pistol.  From the photo, the lock plate looks to have originally been flint.  What appears to be an octagonal flat butt on the grip is found on german or french pistols.  Stock architecture on other NYS made pistols I've seen are usually more of an English style.
  Anyway, looks like an interesting exhibit.
SC