Author Topic: Hunting Bag  (Read 5397 times)

jbignell

Hunting Bag
« on: March 05, 2010, 12:50:52 AM »
These past few days I've tried to find time to sit down and work on my own personal hunting bag.  I made the bag out of scrap leather from a previous makeshift bag I had used this past summer.  The bag itself is on the smaller side to keep me thinking simply and packing only what I need.  Overall, I was pleased with the way it came out.  I've seen some great things on this forum, and I was hoping to get some pointers from some of the more seasoned bag makers.  Thanks for taking time to look.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:34:01 AM by jbignell »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Hunting Bag
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:15:51 AM »
I'd say you did well.  Everything looks nicely done.  I used to make the flap the way you did, folded over, but always find they want to flop open.  I now prefer the pinched seam with the flap separate and stitched down to the back.  It wants to stay down that way. 
Andover, Vermont

omark

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:18:36 AM »
for what its worth, i think you did fine. and welcome   ;D  mark

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 02:47:08 AM »
jbignell, Looks good. What are you going to hang off that ring?

Rich, I still make some pouches that way. Creasing a little on the flesh side while damp takes away the flap a'floppin and it can't have a bellows running all the way to the pouch opening. ;D

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 03:01:19 AM »
Nice work. For what it is worth from a style perspective I woould like it better if the edges of the V shaped piece on the flap had finished edges, at least burnished neatly. The ragged edge doesn't seem to go with the neat seams etc to my eye.

Keep it up!! I would say it will hunt! ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:13:20 AM »
Hi ya jbignell,

Welcome to ALR.  Good looking bag, nice design, neat stitch work.  I like it! 

A couple of suggestions you could still do on this bag....  when I have raw cut edges exposed, like on your flap, I'll use a brown sharpie marker or dye to mask the lighter line that shows in the middle of the leather, then burnish, as Dr. Tim said.  I think the welt would look better if it was trimmed to a more uniform width from the bag.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

jbignell

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:18:53 AM »
Thank you guys for the comments and suggestions.  I read in several posts the idea of burnishing.  I had never done something like that before, but I would be eager to learn how its done. 

In regards to the iron ring...I'm relatively new around my rifle and I'm still learning what setup will work best for me.  I was thinking about attaching my powder measure and possibly some patching, and as time and experience permit, I'm sure various other items will make their way on and off of it.

Thank you guys again for you comments, I'm looking forward about learning how to burnish

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 07:01:51 AM »
I think it looks pretty good, it will look alot better after it spends some time in the woods. Get some deer,rabbit,and tree rat smered here and there to speed up the process. Put a small knife on back of bag would be ok too.  Gary

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:13:44 PM »
I burnish the edges of leather on a belt sander...It sands them smooth and even may blacken some spots...stinks to high heavens....  but you an get an even edge that will wear well.  I am not sure how others to it ..or even how to do it on soft, floppy leather.

Hope that helps... ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:26:38 PM »

Somebody else made this bag but you can see the burnished edges on the straps//

I really like they way he finished his edges on the flap, but I don't know how todo that

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

wbgv

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:37:46 PM »
Dr Tim..your bag looks like  a Speedy Hogarth bag...I agree,that rough edge needs/lacks something..

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 09:48:15 PM »
It is in fact made by Speedy! I love it.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA