Author Topic: hunting bag book  (Read 3046 times)

The other DWS

hunting bag book
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:34:56 AM »
in several posts I have read of a book written/published by one of the members here that gives some historical background as well as patterns and tips.   Is it still available and what is the source.  I'd like to find a copy

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: hunting bag book
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:02:15 AM »
 Would it be Jim Webb or Tim Albert? here is one on Jim's. Tim's is available through R.E. Davis or Track.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2900.msg27435#msg27435

Tim C.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:07:14 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 03:05:21 AM »
I have both books and found them each useful in their own way.   However, they are very different books.   Tim's book is mostly a "How To" concentrating on later, more sophisticated bags.   Jims book is his "sketchbook" of southern appalachian bags, powder horns, moulds, knives, etc....  There is sufficient information given to recreate the bags although I wouldn't call them patterns.   Tim's books actually has patterns.   This is in no way meant to denigrate Jim's book.  It is actually one of my favorites.   Just don't expect a "How to" with exact patterns laid out on a grid.

Mark

The other DWS

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:32:41 AM »
sounds like I need to track down both of'em

has anyone published anything on original early bags from the more northern regions?

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 04:32:38 AM »
If you are not already familiar with it, Madison Grant's book "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch" has lots of information and photos of originals.
Larry Luck

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:38:53 AM »
looks like I'm gonna have to buy another bookshelf  "pleez do'n trow me in dat brar pach"