Author Topic: an early Canadian gunsmith  (Read 4997 times)

scooter

an early Canadian gunsmith
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »
GADOIS, PIERRE, Montreal Island farmer, armourer, gunsmith, witchcraft victim; b. 1632 in Saint-Germain-des-Prés parish near Bellême in Perche; d. 8 May 1714 in Montreal.

Pierre Gadois was the eldest son of Pierre Gadoys* (1594–1667) and came to Canada with his parents. The family arrived at Ville-Marie (Montreal) about 1647 after a sojourn in the Quebec region. Pierre the younger was, according to Marguerite Bourgeoys*, the first altar-boy in the frontier settlement of Ville-Marie. He was probably trained in gunsmithery by Jean La Forest [Tavernier] and possibly transmitted his skill to his brother, Jean-Baptiste (1641–1728), who also became a gunsmith.

On 12 Aug. 1657, Pierre Gadois was married to Marie Pontonnier by Father Claude Pijart* who pronounced the customary “nulloque Legitimo impedimento detecto.” Yet there was indeed an impediment. Mlle Pontonnier had wed Gadois in preference to another suitor. The rejected lover was René Besnard, dit Bourjoly, a corporal in the Ville-Marie garrison, who openly declared that the marriage would be forever sterile. When the bride failed to conceive in the first year of marriage, Besnard was accused of having made the groom impotent by an incantation over a thrice-knotted string.

Upon the complaint of the injured couple and others, a seigneurial tribunal was convened in November 1658 to investigate the charges of sorcery against René Besnard. The defendant denied any association with witchcraft even though, he claimed, Gadois’ wife had offered him the fullest intimacies if he would acknowledge the deed and break the spell. When faced with testimony that he had boasted suggestively in public of “knowing how to tie the knot,” Besnard replied that he had been speaking about the lacing of his hose. Sieur Chomedey* de Maisonneuve, as acting magistrate, sent the corporal to prison and later into exile.

Bishop Laval repeated the marriage blessing after an ecclesiastical investigation and on 30 Aug. 1660, the required three years after the first marriage having elapsed, he declared the marriage null “because of permanent impotence caused by witchcraft.” Marie Pontonnier remarried two months later, but Gadois delayed his second essay at matrimony until 20 April 1665, when he took Jeanne Besnard (no relation to René) as his spouse. His second wife bore 14 children, with twins as a final tour de force.

Pierre Gadois had an honourable public life. In the 1660s he served in the defence of Ville-Marie as a militiaman and as a member of the Saint-Pierre river cooperative farming community, which guarded the southern approach to Ville-Marie. In the next decade, Gadois moved into a new house on Rue Notre-Dame, opposite the first seminary. He now devoted more of his time to his craft as armourer-gunsmith and participated in the religious and social activities of the St Éloi society of armourers. As a churchwarden he supervised in 1672 the construction of a public well in the Place d’Armes. The 1681 census listed Gadois as the relatively prosperous owner of 30 cultivated acres. Two years later, he arranged an advantageous marriage for his eldest daughter, Jeanne-Françoise, to the merchant Antoine Hattanville. In later years, Gadois supplemented his income by selling town lots and by leasing out his farmlands. Pierre Gadois, the respected Montreal burgher, would soon be eclipsed by his more famous son, Jacques Gadois*, dit Mauger (1686–1750), the silversmith and merchant.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: an early Canadian gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 04:17:35 AM »
Most enjoyable reading Jim.  Thanks for posting it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:54:04 AM »
Interesting post, thx, nice to see canada made an early contribution........   :) Kerry

Offline tom patton

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 08:23:47 AM »
A most interesting post about an early Canadian gunsmith.I have long been interested in the guns of New France during the French period and it is obvious that European guns sent to New France had to require repair from time to time.Although the stocking and restocking of guns was in addition to repair is known I have been been unable to find out much information about such activity. My inability to read modern French let alone 17th and 18th century hasn't been a benefit to my research.

For those interested in these early guns and those who built and/or repaired them I recommend "Canadian Gunsmiths from 1608"  A checklist of Tradesmen  by John A. Belton. This is ,of course,in addition to the several good books on the guns of New France by T.M. Hamilton,Russel Bouchard and others.This book is in paperback and I noted two copies on abebooks.com priced at $12.00 or less.
Tom Patton

The other DWS

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:47:57 AM »
thanks Tom, just ordered a copy

jwh1947

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:00:04 AM »
Dang, I have a copy of that book around the clutter here somewhere.  It is about 1/4 " thick and is a list of Canadian gunsmiths, sort of in the line of Sellers, but smaller.  I was interested to see the substantial number of Canadian builders, then realized that it should not at all be surprising.  Wayne

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 11:25:51 PM »
When I was a college student, I was walking through the halls of The University of Western Ontario on afternoon, and there, in a little nook was a display of five or six rifles simply behind a coarse iron set of bars, by R. W. Soper.  They were superbly built, in near mint condition, and all half stocked percussion rifles.  The rifles from Ohio and Northern NY resemble them.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

The other DWS

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 04:53:50 AM »
The French Canadian economic system was very mercantilistic.  The French went to extreme measures to keep any industry that would allow canadian colonies to become economically self-sufficient from developing.  Colonies were to provide raw material, furs, fish, lumber whatever to the mother country and purchase every finished item possible from there as well. I would be really interested in knowing about any actual firearms created in North America under the French Regime.  Personally I doubt any exist.  Arms were imported from France specifically for issue to the Canadian militia and for trade to the NA as a matter of government policy.  In New France there was NO separation of civilian, government-military, and religious authority and policy.  Any arms ad munitions traded to the NA was supposed to be acquired, shipped and traded in accordance with the individual trader's government issued licenses.

Blacksmiths and gun (repairing) smiths were permitted.  In fact the Native Americas frequently demanded that 'smiths be sent to them to repair and maintain their tools and weapons.  I have seen "invoices" from frontier trading post black/gun smiths that were billed back to the government for services provided to the French NA allies.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »
There is also a much larger volume, titled THE CANADIAN GUNSMITHS 1608 to 1900 by S. James Gooding.  It is 308 pages, hardbound, and was published by Museum Restoration Service, West Hill, Ontario, in 1962.  It contains detailed biographical sketches of Canadian gunsmith/gunmakers, with quite a number of pictures. I have a copy.

Several of my earliest Illinois gunsmiths were from Canada, the earliest two, Nicholas Doyon and Pierre Prudhomme, arrived here in 1683 with Henri de Tonti.

The other DWS

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
Thank you for that reference.  Amazon showed two copies, but ABEbooks.com listed a number more