Author Topic: Curly back steel buttplate?  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Curly back steel buttplate?
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:34:38 PM »
My current slow build (So Mtn rifle) now has a forged (hammered upon) inward curl at toe of said plate and a toe plate will be used also....     Any examples of the ol boy's doing similar known to human beings.... ???

Anybody?"

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Curly back steel buttplate?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:06:08 PM »
a Slow Mountain Riffle? A tiny meandering stream......

How about Pratt, or that Ken Guy?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:01:31 AM »
Roger, Not sure what you mean by inward curl at the toe? 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:19:45 AM »
Is that a hangnail?  or Ingrown toenail/  They hurt..
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

rdillon

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 02:24:38 AM »
Roger are you sure it's not on upside down?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 03:24:27 AM »
Roger, Not sure what you mean by inward curl at the toe? 
Funny I thought you'd ask that ::)

Inward = towards the stock

Curl = nice little curly Q 'forged in to toe of the butt plate...

Jeez - I hope ol Pratt reads this... :D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:25:34 AM »
a Slow Mountain Riffle? A tiny meandering stream......

How about Pratt, or that Ken Guy?
Said slow build not slow Mt Rifle - U in to the jug again? ;D

coutios

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:32:45 AM »
    Roger, Ian is the guy for that stuff. He demo'ed that rolled over effect at a class a while back.. I do not think the rifle he was using for the demo had a toe plate in it's future however... All I remember is the point you start the bend is very important in the sucess of the bend...

Regards
Dave

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 03:33:55 AM »
Roger are you sure it's not on upside down?

I better look! ;D

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 03:52:20 AM »
Without a picture my advice is going to be hammer on the other side for a while and see what happens. 

I'm waiting to hear Ian's response too.  It better be witty or I'll be terrible disappointed. 
Ken

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
Roger, so far I recall seeing two original iron mounted guns done as you describe, with the toe of the buttplate hammered over the toeplate. One in particular was done very nicely, the toe end hammered very thin and filed to a rounded tip then neatly hammered over, covered the end of the toe plate by maybe a half inch.
  More often I have seen the the toe end of the buttplate simply hammered over the toe of the stock rather than hammered onto the toe plate - but both ways are uncommon. There is always debate about whether or not this was done by the gun's builder or done later after wood shrank or broke, or to protect the toe etc., but some of them seem to me to have been obviously done by the builder - the "nicely done" one I described above seemed likely to have been done by the builder, part function, part design element.
  For those of you that are hung up on Northern guns, check out some of Andrew Figthorn's guns, there are several that show this feature, one in Kindig's book if I remember right.
  Not to stray from Roger's question, but any of you who are interested in seeing some of these neat Southern rifles up close and personal, some great examples have been making appearances at the CLA show in Lexington as a part of the antique guns and items portion of the event. Coming up sooner is the Tennessee Kentucky Rifle Show toward the end of April, that's a great show for seeing some things that don't turn up at many of the other events.  I'd also recommend Ray McKnight's video and Jerry Noble's books. Information on all these is probably somewhere here on ALR if you do a search

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:05:43 PM »
Pratt,
I'm so diappointed.  

Roger,
Glad Ian could translate.  Like this?  I'm with Ian and can only remember two. We may have both seen the same two as the other one I saw was pretty ragged looking.  More like the buttplate was too long and they just folded it rather than making and effort to shorten the buttplate.  Seems like it had a hole for a rivet leading me to think the buttplate was recycled.  or as Ian said the stock shrank and then the plate was folded.
Ken
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:11:21 PM by Ken Guy »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:45:30 PM »
Pratt,
I'm so diappointed.  

Roger,
Glad Ian could translate.  Like this?  I'm with Ian and can only remember two. We may have both seen the same two as the other one I saw was pretty ragged looking.  More like the buttplate was too long and they just folded it rather than making and effort to shorten the buttplate.  Seems like it had a hole for a rivet leading me to think the buttplate was recycled.  or as Ian said the stock shrank and then the plate was folded.
Ken

Thanks Guy or Guys!  I am vindicated                a little!

If the original [piece you show shrank that much v surprising not ::)  Maybe I can get photo posted of where I may go with this idea of the curlyQ buttplate toe.  I was asking if anyone knew of originals thata way and thanks for the expert answers.    :)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 02:13:52 AM »
Roger,
That one looks like it was intentionally done to me.  I looked all through my pics and can not find the one with a rivet hole but was still folded over the toe plate. 
I can only imagine it would be real easy to snap a chunk off the toe trying to fold that over. 
Ken