Author Topic: Trigger guard inletting  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Tom Currie

Trigger guard inletting
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:17:06 PM »
I am currently installing a Reaves Goerhing #44 trigger guard ( RCA 64 ) which has a very thin front extension. Only about .060 at the edges  and about .100 at the center. I am guessing I still need to inlet it so that it has a " place to stay " right ?

That's very shallow for an inlet ( maybe .030 ) . Never dealt with a trigger guard extension this delicate before.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Trigger guard inletting
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:41:17 PM »
I am guessing I still need to inlet it so that it has a " place to stay " right ?
That's what I do. I just inlet enough to have the very edge of the guard flush with the wood. Some of Reaves' guards are a little thicker than others so the depth varies with the guard type.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:20:17 PM »
I too was surprised, upon receiving the same TG from Goehring, that it was kinda "flimsy" and I posted my critical  thoughts to the membership and  they assured me that once inletted and attached, it would be very stable and not to worry. They were right!  I did talk w/ Reaves about reproducing patterns of TGs and BPs from "original" parts which were already of finished size and of which metal shrinkage and  cleanup could reduce the thicknesses still further. but because of his fine grain sand casting, the surfaces were scraped and a minimum of stock was removed. He said that he hadn't encountered any problems w/ builders using his parts. The other thing that amazed me and was to some degree enlightening, was the small overall size of the parts which right off told me that these Bucks County  LRs were smaller in all aspects than what I had imagined. My next Bucks County will only use a "B" weight swamped bbl and the stock will be further "slimmed"  from that of my previous Buck Countys. We in the hinterland in many cases, are not privy to viewing "originals" and the photos in the RCA volumes, although excellent, don't visually relate the character of these "originals", although dimensions are given.  Good luck on your Bucks County LR....Fred
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:23:18 PM by flehto »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 06:59:01 PM »
I carefully bend the bow of the guard a little so that the front end of the front extension wants to sit down first.  Then when pinned it will stick like glue.  Not that anybody would use glue or liquid nails or anything like that.  :o
Andover, Vermont