Author Topic: Riflemans Knife and Sheath  (Read 13413 times)

nthe10ring

Re: Riflemans Knife and Sheath
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »
Gus,
The decoration on the flap is carved. I have used that design on several bags of that type as it looks right to me. I did do a couple that I carved a grotesque face, and one with ivory eyes and teeth in the face.  As to the skirt there are examples of german short hunting swords with that type of clamshell motiff attached to the guard and it slides down over the throat of the sheath.
The knife pictured above with the spanish notch at the choil is not mine , its Meldad's, he includes a photo in his signature line.
As to forging, all of my blades are forged, im pretty low tech, hammer anvil and files. I enjoy working in that manner. I have made some dirks and like to make all manner of blade types. Most of the knives that I make right now are to accompany the bag sets that I make. Im working on another deer leg bag now, that will be a complete set, bag, horn , knive, etc.
Once again thanks for the comments.

Regards
Jerry Fisher

osceola

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 12:00:23 AM »
Being New to this forum, I"ll just say, That is not the First One You have Built. A Man be proud to carry such well made items as those.. Very nice..

Offline Artificer

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 04:40:32 PM »
Jerry,

Thanks for the additional information. 

Your work may be "low tech" but the quality is in keeping with what would have been in demand by disciminating customers in the 18th century. Low Tech does not have to mean low quality.   The pride you take in your work shows through. 

Gus Fisher

Tony

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »
a great looking knife and sheath .