Author Topic: My first Kentucky Rifle  (Read 10411 times)

jwh1947

My first Kentucky Rifle
« on: March 12, 2010, 05:27:46 AM »
I was 13.  It was 1960.  My dad, a WWII Vet,  was commander of the local Amvets post.  They ran a bingo game in the Steelton city hall, third floor, while the police ran their station on floor two.  Gambling being completely "verboten" in then Blue-Law ridden Pennsylvania.  I ran cards for $2.00 a night, plus tips.  

Back in the mens' room there was a big closet.  The Amvets kept a grouping of M1917 Eddystones in there that they used for color guard.  High up in a somewhat hidden compartment we card runners found an old Kentucky rifle.  It had probably lain there for 75 years.  Everyone forgot about it, but me.

When the Amvets disbanded the 1917's disappeared, but the Kentucky was overlooked.  I went to the police sargeant downstairs one day and inquired about the property upstairs.  He said he knew nothing of anything upstairs and that I could do what I wished with it. All ranking Amvets concurred.  No one wanted it, so I went home with the rifle.

In those days my primary interest was .45's which we could obtain from DCM for $17.50, luck of the draw, some new, and Springfield 1903A3's, likewise, for $15.00.  Yes, I was 13 and occupied with this endeavor.  I went to all my dad's friends and offered to pay their initial $5.00 membership fee to NRA on the condition that they let me buy their .45 and/or Springfield.  Usually, a man would let me buy both as he didn't care about them.  It was one per customer.  I even signed up girlfriends' dads and moms.  I enjoyed every minute; each dull brown package from the arsenal an extension of Christmas morning.  

Anyway, the Kentucky was signed "Shell and Early."  This puts it in Dauphin County.  It was a percussion, made as such.  Sleek.  No box. Very long barrel, I recall maybe 45," rifled, about .40 cal.  Fullstock.

I had Tom McCool, general gunsmith in Henryville , PA, do a little touching up and he brought back the artificial striping quite well.  It was a beauty.

When I started college, the Kentucky and most of the .45's went for tuition. If I recall I got about $125 for the Kentucky, which paid a chunk of a term's fees.  People who are either building a collection or putting kids through school might think this is a barrel stretching story, but, alas, quite true.  I paid a whole term by selling my favorite, historic documented piece -- Meyer Lansky's S&W Model 10, which, incidentally, he never carried to work.  He frowned on gun violence.  Wayne

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:37:04 AM by jwh1947 »

Offline Bill-52

Re: My first Kentucky Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »
Great story, Wayne.  Thanks.  I'm guessing this longrifle was made by John Shell and Amos Early who I understand apprenticed with John Shell.  Can you estimate when it was made?

Given your knowledge of Dauphin county, Wayne, you probably already know this, but for the benefit of others:  After laying out the town of Shellsville in 1821, Major John Shell opened the first general store in 1822 with his partner, Jacob Early, Amos' father.  Amos Early later married John Shell's daughter, Rebecca.  In addition, I recently learned via documents at the Dauphin county orphan's court that when John Shell died intestate in 1875, Rebecca (Shell) Early filed the necessary papers and Amos Early was one of the sureties for the $20,000 bond, an impressive estate in those days.

BTW, I have a somewhat similar story regarding funding my education.  About 30+ years ago when I was considering graduate school, I had an opportunity to buy a stunning 1952 MG TD, my absolute favorite car.  I eventually decided to go back to school and use the MG money for tuition but never regretted that decision -- I met my lovely wife at graduate school!

Bill

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:10:49 PM »
Can you all stand another gun/car story? Back in 1954, I was a junior in high school and itching for a car; an idea to which my mother was deadset opposed. She offered a deal which I accepted (knowing full well that I would be the loser no matter what) and here is what it was. If I would forego the car for a year, she would buy a gun for me. Not bad, actually. We visited a local antique gun shop where we purchased a small Indiana rifle made by a J. Klepfer, and so the deal was made. I kept the gun for awhile and then deciding I didn't like it, took it back to the dealer. Later he had a nice little M. Sell Kentucky Rifle which I bought and still have (a KY made KY). The returned gun came back to me about 10 years ago from a neighbor who had purchased it not long after the return. We are talking 1955 here. So, both are up on my wall, today.
The following year, came the car; a nice little 1940 Ford club coupe which although having a lot of problems was a blast. In 1960, out it went in favor of a 1957 Buick Century which lasted until I got married and then it had to go, too. Point here is that if I had kept the cars and dumped the guns, I would be rich today.
Best car story I know of though happened to a friend of mine. He lived in Wisconsin and was preparing to move to California driving a gorgeous Austin-Healey sports car. The car came to the atttention of a collector in WI who had been looking for the best. He offered to trade Phil a comparable car for the Healey. Phil looked the offer over and since the car was not running he declined, telling the fellow he needed a vehichle which he could drive out rather than one he had to push all the way. Today, 50 years after, Phil still regrets turning down the offer of the Bugatti Atlantique Coupe for his Healey. True story!
Dick 

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 06:10:33 AM »
Embarrassed and lucky! I bought my first Kentucky from a dealer in 1985. He said it was a VA gun. Barrel was signed in initials.. "A. ?" It hung on my wall for almost 20 years before Bill Vance saw it and recognized it immediately as a Schweitzer. It was a few more years before I recognized it by accident in Kindigs book....#15. If you look in his book, p.77,  you will see that Kindig misidentified it also.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 08:30:02 PM »
Just a quick postscript on 'unlucky Phil' and the Bugatti; he isn't really all that unlucky. A year or so ago, he went to a local gun show and as he was leaving empty handed, spied a gentleman getting out of his car with a flint musket in hand. Phil approached the fellow, asked if he could look at the gun. The owner commented that he was bringing it to sell and hoped to get $700 for it. They made a deal on the spot and the gun went home with Phil.
As he glanced at it driving home, he began to get a sick feeling about it as it just didn't seem to look right. At home he looked it it over really well, it had the right US markings, it was in pretty good condition; no sign of restorations, or a reconversion. Finally the fact became apparent: the gun was too small. A quick end to the story: he had bought an 1840 Springfield West Point Cadet Musket for a mere fraction of its value. West Point has one, the NRA museum has none and they are a five figure item when available. 
Dick

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 02:01:10 AM »
Lucky guys you are, because my first Kentucky wasn’t even a real Kentucky.
But I was 12 years old and it sort of looked like Davy Crockett’s rifle on the TV series which was playing at the time.

It was a great huge thing with about an 8 or 10 gauge bore, had a jumbo sized flintlock probably 7 inches long, and a butt that resembled a 2 by 4, more than a rifle. On the barrel was stamped Stoeger Arms, then ‘Elephant rifle’ or some such thing, and I talked my Dad into buying it for me!

It was cool, and I was happy,,, well except for the 2 by 4 shaped butt, so after a couple days I removed the flat piece of brass that was the butt plate, and borrowed my dad’s rasp and reshaped it to a more Davy’s rifle configuration. Thinking back, I’d say sort of a Bucks Co/Lehigh look,,, well, more or less.

Being young and foolish, both me And my dad, I eventually convinced him to buy some black powder, and we shot the thing with some ‘correct’ sized agates out of my marble bag!

And thinking back now, those old agates would probably be worth a lot of money!
John     
John Robbins

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 07:09:01 AM »
Much as I love Kentuckies, I would have gone for the Meyer Lansky pistol.

jwh1947

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 06:43:40 AM »
Meyer's S&W is cool.  He had monogrammed rosewood grips put on it by Roper.  I doubt that he ever carried it.

We used to get into talks about what is perhaps the most historically famous handgun.  Jack Ruby's revolver often made the discussion.  My pick would be Gavrilo Princip's M1910 Browning.  I was in the dank cell at Theresienstadt where he died of TB around age 23.  There's a street named after him in Beograd, where he is regarded as a national hero.

Incidentally, speaking of famous handguns, Ho Chi Minh began his revolt against the French with 5 Colt .45 autos, U.S. Property marked, that he procured somehow.

I know, off main subject.  So are Chevys, but all part of our history.  Old Chinese adage: May you live in interesting times.  I never had any complaints.
Incidentally, firearms directly associated with history turn me on, and I am not alone on this quirk.  The corollary is that 98% of the firearms available in regular gun stores have little to no allure to me at all.    The remaining 2% are sufficient to keep one gun poor if not disciplined.  Wayne

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
The corollary is that 98% of the firearms available in regular gun stores have little to no allure to me at all.    The remaining 2% are sufficient to keep one gun poor if not disciplined.  Wayne                                                I too find myself boared out of my goard at most modern gunshops. Many years ago I wandered in off the US10 expressway into a small farm town in mid Michigan called Auburn. I needed gasoline. There was this shop in the down town area with a big siloette sign of a longrifle hanging out front." Ye Ole Blackpowder Shop" It was my first experience of many with the Shellhorns, Bill and wife. There, I bought my first "antique" Kentucky rifle. A fullstock Leman smooth rifle with brass furniture, no patchbox but a lot of brass inlays. It cost me 200 bucks which was a lot to pay for a wall hanger and not a shooter! The store was a great mecca for BP building supplys and books as well. I am sad to say they are gone now as are so many great mom & pop places. I later sold that old Leman, for several times it's original cost. I needed to buy seeds for my greenhouse.
Joel Hall