Author Topic: A note on early rifle construction at Bethlehem, PA  (Read 5021 times)

Offline ehoff

A note on early rifle construction at Bethlehem, PA
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »
I was doing some reading in "Memorials of the Morivan Church, Vol 1." edited by William C. Reichel in 1870. I found the following bill submitted for mending a rifle.

April 1757    Province of Pennsilvana, Dr.

To new stocking of a rifle gun
"new brass mounting for rifle gun
"a new bullet mold for       "      "
"a screw and drawer for  "   "
"new boreing the barrel (rifle fashion)
"cleaning    "      "  outside
"a new trigger
"cleaning the lock and 2 screws, & c

(The total bill for the above was 2L (2 pounds?)

N.B. -The gun was ordered to be mended the first Treaty held at Easton, and left by an indian under the care of Wm. Edmonds, who had the late Governor Morris' order for that amongst other things to send them well satysfy's away, and since mended, but not charged till now by me.

Witness
Wm. Edmonds,                                                Danl Kliest, Locksmith at Bethlehem

By the account this was more then a mere mending job, for it seems the only thing re-used was the lock. I'm  wonder if the term "drawer" ment a patchbox of some type? I just found this intresting and wanted to pass it along.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
Re: A note on early rifle construction at Bethlehem, PA
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:33:12 PM »
Excellent! Thank You

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:09 PM »
"Schuber".  In the case of a gun, it is a sliding wooden box lid.  In furniture, it is a drawer.  For books, it is a cardboard slip-cover.

;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline ehoff

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:48 PM »
"I would assume the "drawer" would be the tool for pulling a ball"

Didn't think of that, but it sounds very reasonable.

Offline TPH

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:31:24 PM »
I would assume the "drawer" would be the tool for pulling a ball.  The "screw" would be the cleaning jag.

That's what I was thinking.
T.P. Hern

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 05:45:32 AM »
sounds like they rifled a previously smooth bore, or am I misinterpreting?

Was the original in German and translated into English for publication.  I have frequently run into problems with translations when the person doing the translating did not have a technology specific vocabulary,  ir errors wiht firearms related terms.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 06:17:22 PM »
Hard to say - especially when you throw in the possibility of translation from German.  But based on the combination of details ("New stocking of a rifle gun",  "new boring the barrel", but just "cleaning" of the outside of the barrel and the lock, screws etc.) it sounds to me like this was already what was left of a heavily used rifle when it was brought into the shop and given an overhaul and the barrel was rebored and re-rifled. ) Looks they rebored and re-rifled the barrel, reused the lock, restocked everything with new trigger and new mounts.  The higher cost components (barrel and lock) were reused, resulting in what appears to be a fairly low cost in comparison with new guns of the day.

I find it interesting that the order was placed for a native and specifically required the gun be restocked and rebored as a rifle, not a smoothbore.  So I would guess it was a rifle to start, but I could be wrong.  If it were a rifle to begin with, makes you wonder how long it was in use, and where it came from, in order for it to need a complete overhaul by 1757.  However, I guess with the heavy trade in deerhides, a native hunter could put serious hard use on a rifle in just a few years.

There is a another reference I have seen - might be from the same source - not sure - butI think it was the Christians Spring shope during the same general timeframe, mid-1750s or thereabouts, of them stocking a "rifle" for a "Shawanoe" (Shawnee) chief.  

Guy
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:33:01 PM by Guy Montfort »

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
sounds like they rifled a previously smooth bore, or am I misinterpreting?

Was the original in German and translated into English for publication.  I have frequently run into problems with translations when the person doing the translating did not have a technology specific vocabulary,  ir errors wiht firearms related terms.

Or it was "freshed" or completely bored and rifled depending on how bad it might have been.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:19:05 PM »
From reading Bailey's  "British Military Flintlock Rifles" the Shawnee and Delaware at least had been using rifles for 10-15 years or more by 1757.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline ehoff

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »
I going out on a limb here and say it probably was an german to english translation, the book does not say.

The treaty "The first treat of Easton" made reference to took place on in August of 1756 when Teedyuskung and some of the eastern Delaware indians had tired of the war and came to Easton to make peace.

From the discription at the end of bill it sounds like the repair of this firearm was done as part of Governor Morris order to "send them well satysfy'd away". I wish it gave more of a discription of the firearm other than the repairs made.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:23:23 PM by ehoff »