Author Topic: Jacobsburg introduces new program  (Read 4450 times)

jwh1947

Jacobsburg introduces new program
« on: March 12, 2010, 03:31:39 AM »
I don't think anyone at Jacobsburg will mind me giving the readership a summary of our first class at the newly revised gunbuilding program.  Now the boys are running a new curriculum and I am most happy with the new presentation.  Most students are on gun #1.  I've done a few dozen, and I learned as much as anyone else in the class.  Point is, ask a question, you will get not one, but 3 answers, sometime concurrent, sometimes not, but always relevant. 

This time around, everybody gets a nice lock, stock and barrel, with instruction forthcoming to make basic furniture and assemble all correctly.  The direction will be toward building a simple rifle consistent with pattern made on the property 160 years ago.  All students will have a vise and be working under supervision of the 3 masters--Hujsa, Correll and Sherck.  Coffee, food and happy learning abound.  No one is made to look stupid, only uplifted.  Present classes on Saturday afternoons.

In class one, we considered theory, how to breech a barrel correctly, how to shoot, and how to select proper tools, importance of sharpening tools correctly, common building errors, and shop safety.  Much concern was directed at breeching.  Also devotion was given to the finished product that we would be aiming for--a useful, safe, efficient, light, accurate rifle.  Both originals and high-grade contemporaries were there for hands-on examination, and certain features were emphasized.

The new guys walked out knowing that if they didn't exit in 8 more weeks with their own hand-made deer rifle, that they had no one to blame but themselves.  The more experienced learners realized that no minute spent there would be a waste of time.

Inspirational gun program.  Within driving distance of NYC, Phila., etc.  If you ever get the chance, I doubt that you would have any regrets.  The teachers have plenty of experience, are encouraging, and make learning fun.  Wayne

Offline Joe Stein

Re: Jacobsburg introduces new program
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 06:06:26 AM »
"Within driving distance of NYC, Phila., etc."

I was talking to Tim Lubenesky last year at Dixon's Gunmakers Fair about the program.  I said it was over 200 miles for me, and a bit too far to drive.  He told me that there was a guy driving up from Quantico, Va. every week for the class.  That's about 80 miles south of me: over 300 miles for that guy to drive one way.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:19:56 AM »
I remember him! I think I talked him into the course at the GMF the year before. We have had guys from out on Long Island and South Jersey. Heck It takes me almost  two hours to get there. Its sounds like its allot more structured this year. I hope to get there a few times this spring....Tim gave me "THE CALL" the other day.  ;D

Bob Mac

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »
If all goes right, I'm hoping to be in next years class if there is one. About a 2+ hour drive for me but I think it would be well worth it. Will there be a waiting list? Or maybe another class scheduled before next year?

jimc2

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 07:05:31 PM »
As one of the instructors I drive a little over an hour.Its worth the time because the guys get an appreciation for what it takes to build one.By the way the instructors are unpaid volunteers.we only do it for the love of the craft and to insure the information does not die out.

sciotaboy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »
Hi  JWH1947,

I see from this post that your are familiar with the Jacobsburg Museum. I am not sure if you saw the Henry Rifle when I had it down there a year or two ago---could be three years---$#*! to get old and forgetful. Anyway, could you possible give me a ball park value of the little Henry from my other post?

Thanks

jwh1947

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:37:53 AM »
Yes, I remember. I have Part-timers, not yet Altheimers. 

Summary of high points of new Jacobsburg class session #2.

Don't assume that all breeched stock and or custom barrels are breeched correctly.  We are working with some of the best stock barrels available.  The brand name is not important, because the teaching point applies to all barrels; however, the barrels were rather good, as a lot.  Out of 9 barrels, we found 8 to be breeched to our minimum standards; one reject.  This was the interesting one because master Jim breeched it correctly within 12 minutes ( Jim, I was timing you), and all was the safe to go with the class's barrels.

Point is, the breech is so important for basic safety and durability, that all breeched barrels should be checked for basic fit, as barrel manufacturers vary in method, tolerances, and reliability of basic fit of this critical area. 

Also tennon placement was covered thoroughly.  I dropped my barrel on the floor, ensuring that it will probably shoot best of all 9. 

High point of trip. Fogelsville Hotel...best bar maids in Lehigh.  Makes Hooters look like a reject Brownie Troop.  I am surprised average girls have not filed a class action suit!  Food not bad either.  Wayne

jwh1947

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:28:16 AM »
I have been having more fun with this Jacobsburg Shimmel than the Luther had with the Pope.  Tomorrow my brother John comes over to the shop to put in his first barrel tennons.  Got to shape the breechplug, too.  Today, however, I got a head start on  my brother.  He has yet to find out, but I got a hottie from Uganda with a totally proper British education to take an interest in inletting tennons today.  We cranked Severina up full blast on the CD and I taught a beautiful lady how to use a file.  She has the knack.  Then I pulled out the Rakija and some blood pudding for lunch.  Might sign her up for Spring course if I can get her off Saturday shift.   

Oh, my wife gets home at 5:00pm so I had to get the new apprentice out by 4:45 and get down on the floor and do 50 quick 3 finger push-ups so that I had beads of sweat on my forehead to go along with the gardening story.  Gosh, I love retirement. 

jwh1947

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 01:51:19 AM »
Three on bench at once.  Business booming, and new apprentices doing great. 

With my brother as my new partner, we now have 3 guns up on the bench at once.  Our two Henrys (class projects) and the Lehigh 44" barrel that I was already working on.  John and I meet at the local diner to discuss current events prior to works sessions.  Here we find also people from around the globe who are here in USA on expiring green cards and need skill development  to stay in place.  We are both proud to say that we are both doing our part for world understanding and to accommodate those who yearn to be free.

You have already heard about my Ugandan apprentice.  She is doing absolutely great.  She refers to me as "Master Wayne," or "Tuan."   Thrives for knowledge and is truly grateful.   Today my brother brings another from Prague...I think her name is Dragana...last time I checked he was behind her teaching her how to file.  You have your apprentices and we have ours.   

Both are good at brewing coffee and cleaning up, too.  Gonzo gunsmithing at its finest.  Tomorrow I put a graver in their hands.  Wayne 

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 02:18:29 AM »
Three on bench at once.  Business booming, and new apprentices doing great. 

With my brother as my new partner, we now have 3 guns up on the bench at once.  Our two Henrys (class projects) and the Lehigh 44" barrel that I was already working on.  John and I meet at the local diner to discuss current events prior to works sessions.  Here we find also people from around the globe who are here in USA on expiring green cards and need skill development  to stay in place.  We are both proud to say that we are both doing our part for world understanding and to accommodate those who yearn to be free.

You have already heard about my Ugandan apprentice.  She is doing absolutely great.  She refers to me as "Master Wayne," or "Tuan."   Thrives for knowledge and is truly grateful.   Today my brother brings another from Prague...I think her name is Dragana...last time I checked he was behind her teaching her how to file.  You have your apprentices and we have ours.   

Both are good at brewing coffee and cleaning up, too.  Gonzo gunsmithing at its finest.  Tomorrow I put a graver in their hands.  Wayne 
Don't give a @!*% about your brother; but holi canolies you must bring those 2 apprentices to the shoots..... ::) ;D :D ;)

jimc2

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 02:31:45 AM »
Love your style wayne

jwh1947

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 02:50:39 AM »
Session #3, eight students cutting, shaving and chipping away, fitting their barrels into rough-cut barrel channels. Not much banter except a few bad jokes.  Everybody too focused on the work at hand.  Everyone on track. We need to lighten up a bit;  maybe will bring the apprentices down next week.