Author Topic: smoothbore 28 gauge turkey pattern pictures  (Read 3861 times)

Offline sonny

smoothbore 28 gauge turkey pattern pictures
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
say!!!.......anybody out there have pictures of turkey shotgun patterns with there 28 gauge smoothies.I would also love to see what kind of special loads your using for a starter up idea......gotta get my spring turkey with my flintlock smoothie 28 gauge....just gotta.....sonny

Offline bob in the woods

Re: smoothbore 28 gauge turkey pattern pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:01:51 PM »
I had a 28 and loved it. It was great for partridge, and patterned well beyond what you would expect for so small a bore. I sold it, of course!  Later, built one for my wife. She still has it.
Long story short..I don't think that the 28 makes a great turkey gun.  I use my 10, but would make do with a 20. If the 28 is all you've got, pattern it on paper before you take it hunting. Mine worked OK with up to 3/4 oz of #6 shot mixed with 71/2  . That was a heavy load.

Buzzard

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:48:05 AM »
My 28ga load is almost identical to roundballs load!

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »
geez.......if the 28gauge shoots that tight at 25 yrds with that much ooph! why would you need a 12 or 10 bore?I realize if a little is good then a lot is better but would that be the case back in revolutionary times when it seemed that they were careful with powder an lead?......sonny

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
geez.......if the 28gauge shoots that tight at 25 yrds with that much ooph! why would you need a 12 or 10 bore?I realize if a little is good then a lot is better but would that be the case back in revolutionary times when it seemed that they were careful with powder an lead?......sonny
Indeed - who could stand up to the recoil of an equivalent load? - perhaps 3 oz in the 10 bore?