Author Topic: I think I'm going to be famous  (Read 12111 times)

holzwurm

I think I'm going to be famous
« on: March 13, 2010, 04:47:15 AM »
A couple of years ago I recieved and email from a lady claiming to be a researcher for the Garret-Wade tool company. They had been searching for a unique vise with the capability to do all the stuff mine would do after I finished remachining it probably 9 years ago. She came across my web site and there was a whole section of my adaption of the Versa-Vise.  Since our first contact I've helped them along in the design process and sent them one of hte accessory arms I had made for mine. Yesterday I recieved this letter from the President of Garret-Wade:

Dear Jerry Crawford:

Knowing how superbly functional the old USA-made Versa Vise was when it was last available in the 1970’s, I like you, was frustrated by the limited utility that the Grizzly copy provided. So I am delighted that Garrett Wade’s enhanced model will finally appear in our April 2010 catalog. Your generosity was critical to the success of our effort as it allowed us to quickly present a manufacturing solution to the China maker.

In retrospect, I wish I had remembered to give you personal credit in the April catalog copy; this unfortunately slipped between the cracks over the holidays (when the March catalog was being put together). But I have made a note to fix that in May and to make the change in the web copy right away. You will also be credited in the Technical Usage Note that will go out with all Vise shipments. All of this is well deserved and, again, your generous willingness to assist in this project has been greatly appreciated by me.

I have yet to see a picture of the actual vise so I can't comment on that but it looks like I'm gong to have several of the arms available again for sale. I'll know more when I see if the accessory arm will fit the  chinese version of the  vise.

In addition to being given credit for the design  I'm going recieve a nice check for being a consultant - imagine that  ;D.

Stay tuned :D

Offline J. Talbert

Re: I think I'm going to be famous
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:10:49 AM »
Hey Jerry!,

Way to go!

Hope it's a big check...

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

runnin lead

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »
Ther gonna put you in the movies, their gonna make a big star outta you..............................
and all you gotta do is act naturly..................................

Offline Telgan

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »
Woopie. Somthing in life paid off for you a little bit Jerry. Congratulations. Happy I have one of your originals. Can I send it back and get it autographed. Tom

Birddog6

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »
Jerry, that is just Great !!   ;)  I use one of the vice attachments you made Every Day.  Only thing I would like to have different on it is the locking knob. Would like to have one with a metal knob on it so I could tighten it more & not chance breaking it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:33:56 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:26:43 PM »
Good Deal.
Nice to hear of a company that does the right thing. Too often the desire to turn a profit overrides everything else.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »
Way to go Jerry !

holzwurm

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 02:38:53 AM »
Jerry, that is just Great !!   ;)  I use one of the vice attachments you made Every Day.  Only thing I would like to have different on it is the locking knob. Would like to have one with a metal knob on it so I could tighten it more & not chance breaking it.

As I recall Birddog, that item is only a 1/4-20 threaded knob. Why don't you get a bolt and weld it in the middle of a piece of 1/2" square bar stock about 6" long. That makes leverage a lot more easy to get. This is a fix I did for mine some time ago.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 02:52:42 AM »
Jerry, Congratulations!  for having your efforts  recognized.  That letter even made me feel good.  Your website had been read [certainly wish my shops were as clean and neat looking as yours] and then worthy modifications were made to my Versa-vice....all of which you inspired.  Hope more success comes your way.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 03:46:54 AM »
Jerry,

Does that mean the prototype you made for me years ago might be worth something? ;D

By way,  my version has a large knurled metal knob that I like just fine.  I have got three Versa-Vises in my shop.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:49:31 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 06:49:49 AM »
Congrats...Sounds like a decent company.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »
Congratulations Jerry!  Good news to hear.

Could I talk you into posting a link to your website?
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

holzwurm

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 05:29:44 AM »
http://home.comcast.net/~boondocker1/

although it hasn't been updated in a while. All that vise work went on over ten years ago

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
Thanks!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 08:44:47 PM »
....allowed us to quickly present a manufacturing solution to the China maker.

:/  that's unfortunate

Joe S

dannybb55

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 12:47:11 AM »
So, why does G W have to have it made in China?

holzwurm

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »
Folks, I had nothing to do with the text that accompany's the picture. I'm not a restorer of antique rifles and anyone who knows me knows better.  ::)

I'm not sure how those little flat pieces sticking out of the vise will work out? We'll see??

As far as making it in china, well, a lot of the parts in Ford trucks are made there so there's no getting around the fact that if a company wants a good price point they go over there for manufacturing.

msw

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »
congrats!  i've been saving for that vice for months!

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »
Jerry,
From what I can see on their website it doesn't appear to have that nice pivoting rear jaw that your prototype has. Did they exclude this or am I just missing it?
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

holzwurm

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 05:15:54 AM »
I don't know why they didn't add that touch? Mybe I'll write them and ask one fo these days. At the moment'm blocked up with sling swivels. Amazing how hte mnd can fill with stuff like that  ::)