Author Topic: Carved Seal Primer Horn  (Read 5890 times)

smorrison

Carved Seal Primer Horn
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »
Here's a few pictures of a small primer horn and powder measure I recently completed.  The horn is done in a Northwest Native American style and carved to represent a seal.  The antler measure is an orca and will hold up to 100 grains.

Scott

Mitch

Re: Carved Seal Primer Horn
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:49:23 PM »
Very Nice Work.... 8)

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:36:54 AM »
  I know little about Northwestern NA's, but that is very excellent workmanship!

Michigander

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 01:04:18 AM »
Beautiful design and workmanship. I have never seen anything like this. Nice work!
Michigander

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 01:06:20 AM »
 WOW! Those are Great!

Tim C.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 01:16:32 AM »
Great job Scott.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 01:28:59 AM »
You have nailed it, Scott! Your work compares very favorably with an original NW horn in my collection. You have done an admirable job on the relief carving that is pretty typical of horns from that region. The measure is equally well done and is a great match for the horn.
A recent west coast auction had a half stock percussion fowling gun that had NW carving on the stock with haliotos inlays, but don't know what it went for. I toyed with bidding on it but 'caveat emptor' is the rule on those things. Thank you for showing to us.
Again, fine job!
Dick 

smorrison

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:07:15 AM »
Thanks all!  I'm getting more and more interested in the native American artwork from the west coast and may be incorporating this into my horn work.

Scott

Offline elk killer

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
Scott,
thats just way cool..!!
its really nice to see something different..
very nice work
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
Very cleverly and well done.  I remember seeing similar stuff in the Museum of Civilization in Ottawa. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

smorrison

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 04:12:41 AM »
Thanks Taylor.  I looked up the Museum of Civilization and browsed through their web page.  Looks like a very nice museum.  I had the opportunity once to visit the Royal BC Museum in Victoria and was very impressed with the museum, especially their First Peoples exhibits.

Scott

Jefferson58

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 03:52:14 PM »
Wow Scott, those are absolutely fabulous! I really know nothing about the pieces from that area, but these are incredible. The relief carving is beautiful.

Your unique style and creative abilities continue to amaze.

Thanks much for sharing these.

Jeff

smorrison

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 06:42:41 AM »
Hey thanks Jeff!  I'm still learning about the artwork of the NW natives.  There is a lot of meaning in the designs and with the animals that they incorporated.  The seal for instance is bright, organized, graceful and inquisitive. They have strong survival skills and teaches one to conquer fears.  I thought that would be appropriate for a primer.  One aspect of the native art that I have not yet worked into my horns, is that you would find other animals, or people hidden within the main animal.  A raven say, might have a salmon hidden within one wing.  Or a salmon might have a person in a fin.  There's a lot to learn...

Scott

black ed

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 05:31:23 AM »
Scott,
If you don't mind telling, What did you use for the color of the horn. I like the red coral color.
Black Ed

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 05:49:39 AM »
Great work, region inspired and fitting. Real cool too. Do some more and show us.   Gary

smorrison

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 07:18:23 AM »
Black Ed,
The horn was first dyed in scarlett RIT fabric dye.  I then applied a dark walnut oil based stain and sprinkled black powdered tempura paint to fill the depressions.  I then selectively wiped the stain off till I got the look I wanted.

Scott

smorrison

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 07:20:16 AM »
Gary, I'm working on another similar horn.  I'll post pics when I get it done.

Scott

black ed

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 05:23:27 AM »
Thanks for the info Scott.
Was the base horn a white/off white and did you just keep staining the horn until you achieved the "red" you wanted?
Black Ed

smorrison

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 04:49:41 AM »
The piece of the horn I used did not have any white material on it.  It was a greenish/brown color.  I left it in the hot RIT dye for about 45 minutes or so.  That's all it took.

Scott