Author Topic: Front Sight Visibility  (Read 13717 times)

roundball

Re: Front Sight Visibility
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 06:32:26 AM »
I widened the rear notch on my Virginia slightly, then replaced the thin front sight with this one...now when I bring it up, the sight jumps into view, clear and sharp

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId=762&partNum=FS-PA-39-B
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:09:58 PM by roundball »

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 05:27:20 PM »
I would not be able to shoot Fowl's sight. It's too narrow for my aging eyes to see. When I was younger than 40 - yes- it would work, but definitely not now.
Widening the rear notch, as Taylor, Len and Neil have done on their longrifles looks good to my eyes, but so far, my guns have a narrower V notche which also seem to work. (those without wide shallw "V"'s that is.)

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 03:11:32 AM »
I was in need of some higher fixed front & rear sights on one of my flintlock's so I made up a set.  I went with the slant back front sight as shown by Daryl, and a square notch rear sight.  I'll field test them tomorrow.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 07:24:11 AM »
Here's Daryl aiming at the card on edge.  His front sight shows up like a beacon, and yet the sun was in front of us, not behind us.  This sight is easy to pick up in the bush.

I just checked out this post, and found that the reduction in size virtually eliminated the effect I was trying to demonstrate.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:26:18 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 07:30:12 AM »
This is better...

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »
This is better...

Excellent illustration.   I noticed yesterday at a dull sunless shoot that I could not see the bottom 2/3 of my frt sight blade; but I could see that top section.  Lately however the targets are blurring out.  This occurs even when shooting with both eyes 'open'. The cataracts are slowly growing.  Seems my eye doctor was right. ::)

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 05:29:54 PM »
Good pictures, Taylor.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 05:26:02 AM »
Very good pictures!  My new sights worked well once I made some minor tapping adjustments, an they do appear as on Daryl's flintlock (above picture) except my rear sight I square notched.  I'm very happy with the out come of the new (homemade) sights.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 05:32:54 AM »
I think I mentioned this somewhere before, but the effect was so good I'll mention it again. I filed a 45 degree facet less than 1/16" wide on the back/top of my square notch rear sight. I also have a 45 degree facet on the top of my front brass blade. My sight picture is a bright brass spot in between two horizontal bright silver lines.

Harnic

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 07:17:48 AM »
Great pictures Taylor.  Between you & Daryl, I was convinced, so I cut a narrow slot in the top of my rear "peep" sight so it's not a closed sight now & filed a small 45° bevel on the back top edge of my silver front blade (.080" wide).  I can see both very well now.  @!*%!  Between cutting 6" off that heavy barrel & the "new" sights, I'm running out of valid excuses for missing now! ;)  Thanks for the good thread Daryl!

Daryl

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »
It's all about improving the sport and the enjoyment we derive from it.  Looking forward to seeing you at Hefley again this year, Harry.  Hopefully the entire area will burn off before then.

Harnic

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2010, 02:04:16 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you at Hefley again this year, Harry.  Hopefully the entire area will burn off before then.

I too am looking forward to catching up at Heffley Daryl.  I really missed going last year.  I hope it rains like crazy for at least a week leading up to the rondy so campfires will be no problem!  Being from the coast originally, I prefer camping in the rain over hot dry conditions.  I love the sound of rain on the tarp at night!  See you guys there in August!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:04:59 AM by Harnic »

Daryl

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2010, 04:40:19 AM »
Yer a sick man, Harry- RAIN on the tarp or tent?  We love you any way.  A good wetting BEFORE the shoot would be good.

Harnic

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2010, 05:39:36 AM »
Ha Ha Ha!  Well, I was a Boy Scout leader down at the coast for at least a dozen years & if we didn't camp in the rain, we didn't camp much... so I got pretty used to it!  Hopefully this year will be fantastic!  I hope to stay for all 10+ days this time around.  A good heavy rain before & a few showers at night through the course of the gathering to keep the grass green would be deeeeliteful!  ;)

Daryl

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2010, 04:34:26 PM »
I agree.