Author Topic: Bear Grease  (Read 5891 times)

Jeff Peters

Bear Grease
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:13 PM »
I finally cooked down some bear fat last weekend.
Cut it into small 1-1/2 inch cubes
Cooked it slowly all day 8 - 9 hours on a low heat until it all melted and the cracklings floated to the top.
Strained it through siv with a coffee filter to get rid of all the dirt etc.
I ended up with about 3/4 of a #9 can full of light brown, almost white colored renderings after it set up.
The stuff has been cooling since sunday (3days) and it hasn't really solidified, it's like a consistency of pudding.
Also no oil ever rose to the top, like I 've read might happen.
I'm looking to use it as patch lube for hunting with good pillow ticking.
Is there anything else I need to do to the stuff?

Thanks in advance
Jeff

Daryl

Re: Bear Grease
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:36:41 AM »
You can put a lid on it and refrigerate it, is about all.  Over time, some oil might migrate to the top - I'd pour this off as it's straight oil and shouldn't solidify.
To lube patches, I merely spread it over the cloth swatch, then squeezed it into the fabric with my fingers.  Re-melting is and soaking patched in it would be the way with pre-cuts.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 03:48:18 AM »
I put mine in old honey and margerine tubs, you better lable them though, my sister thought they had honey in them and lost her lunch when she found out the truth. I should have told her before she had her morning toast. She wont come back for awhile.   They have kept in the frige for years.  The stuf works good as after cleaning oil too.    Gary

Buzzard

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:00:16 AM »
JP, you state that you simmered 8hrs at LOW HEAT. Did you get it hot enough to boil off the moisture in the fat. It's been a long time since i made hog cracklin's, but i remember mom keeping the lard and it always set-up well. I do remember her startin off on low heat and then increasing it as the grease got deeper.

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 04:57:22 PM »
yep...........i slow  boiled my bear grease on stove all day,then ran the bear grease through a coffee filter just as you did.......my grease is like pudding an not oil..........this bear was shot a few years back an i wonder if the consistancy is due to the fat makeup of the animal that year!......when i soak my precut patches in the bear grease i first have a very small pot that i heat the beargrease in until it turns liquid.I then,with tweezers dunk the patches in for a few seconds to drink it up,an set aside to harden up.When the grease thickens up,i take an old rolling pin an roll the excess out making all patches same degree of slick.return squeezings back into pot for next patch soaking session................sonny

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
Another way is with the pre-cut patches strung on a thead, dunked into the oil, let hang to drip, then squeezed as a stack to removed the excess. The thread,of course, comes right out.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:30:41 PM by Daryl »

Jeff Peters

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 07:44:14 PM »
Thanks to all.
Sounds like I'm doing it correctly
Daryl, I'll try the string method, sounds like it would save some time when doing a bunch
With all the heavy rain they are calling for this weekend sounds like a good time to grease some patches

Thanks again,
Jeff

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 03:23:42 AM »
With animal fats, I don't lube more than needed. Neetsfoot oil will not rot the material as quickly and actually last a long time. With mink oil or bear's grease, I'd not lube too far in advance.

Offline Bart

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
That bear grease seasons the bore well, I use it for cold weather hunting. It also makes great biscuits, and the best pie crust you could ever put in your mouth !!

Bart

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 12:18:56 AM »
sounds like you need to chill it more..as in the freezer...then separate it into smaller jars ..find a spot that will be around 80 to 85 degrees  let it sit..it may take weeks--get your self a siphon or baby aspirator..draw the oil off the top of the jars when ready.You can use whats left for patch lube..

this is the color of bear oil at 70 degrees as you warm it up it turns more liquid

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 03:47:44 AM »
further note about bear's oil. You will get more clear oil and less shortening if you use only the inside fat. The fat outside is mostly suet - makes great shortening and good patch lube too, however the oily stuff from inside will stay softer in cold weather for patch lube.  Same goes for Marmot oil - better waterproofer than bear's oil or grease.

Jeff Peters

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 08:21:23 PM »
Fowl,
That is exactly what it looks like
I looked at it this am and there was a small bit of oil forming where I had placed my finger in the stuff earlier in the week.
I cut about 50 patches and rubbed grease into them this am. and the grease was bearly solid. It mlted amost as soon as I rubbed it in. I'm going to try to get out and shoot between the rain drops today to see how it works.
I was thinking of letting it sit for another week or two, drain off what oil I get then deviding it into smaller jars and storring it in our extra  "Meat" referigerator in the basement and pull out a jar at a time as I need it.

Jeff

Jeff Peters

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 01:54:11 PM »
The bear grease worked well. Patched balls loaded easily, and the recovered patches showed no difference from previous pathes with other lube. Very damp rainy day. I'll need to try it on a bit of a dryer day to see if it makes a difference.

Also while at the range I had two fellows with their little M-4's ripping through rounds
They asked about the gun I was shooting, so I told them a Little bit about it, then asked if they wanted to shoot it. The one fellow jumped at the chance while the other was a bit hesitant, but after his buddy shot he had to give it a try.
Who know maybe we'll get two more shooters in our ranks

Jeff

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 05:55:01 AM »
Jeff- I would recommend you use a 2 to1 bear grease to bees wax mix...the straight grease may work OK in cooler weather but in the summer it can cause problems if used straight.  fowling the powder if to much lube on patch..don't ask how I know this! I have sent other members bear grease and most love it for patch lube-, seasoning fry pans..etc. The oil is a great gun lube also.