Author Topic: TOTW Jaeger butt plate  (Read 2540 times)

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
TOTW Jaeger butt plate
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »
Has anyone assembled a TOTW jaeger with the fancy butt plate?  It is nearly inlet from the supplier, I am planning to bevel the edges and start to fit it down.  Is there anything I need to do other than align and to straight down? Since it is pre-inlet "kind of" I dont have a lot of room to err.  Just making sure I dont miss anything and get in a pickle.

Brett.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: TOTW Jaeger butt plate
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:03:59 PM »
It looks like you've got it figured out.  With an acanthus styled butt plate return, you have to go straight in.  If you try to move it forward, you'll have gaps where there is wood removed, and no bras to fill it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:21:31 PM »
I just wasnt sure of how much taper to put on the plate and the details are pretty fine, I can black it and set it in to see how it looks and start shaving some wood off.  I guess I dont have the confidence yet.  The radius of the plate also is tighter than the stock radius so I guess some tweaking is in order.

Thanks for the support, these projects mean a lot to me and my wife is thrilled I am giving it an honest try, but she admits she doesnt have the skill to back me up.

Brett.

The other DWS

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »
FWIW:
I'm working on a modified TOTW "kit" that has an acanthus leaf tanged buttplate.   
I bent mine up just enough to clear the wood surface. I cut down the pin lug some and figured the slightly elongated slot I made for the lug would be under the plate and not show,  That let me work the plate forward to get it fairly solid.  then I bent the forward butt tang down incrementally against the wood to fit it into their "inletting".
Its not a perfect job by a long shot-- I had some small chip-outs--but its "just" a beat up old trade gun so I can live with it.
I found bending the tang up helped a LOT.  Mine is iron mounted so bending wasn't not a problem. 
If I was using cast brass I'd probably anneal it first.

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
I see what you mean, I will start at the radius and see where I fall into the pre-inlet areas they have started.

Thanks a bunch.

Brett.