Author Topic: construction question#2--trigger  (Read 5857 times)

The other DWS

construction question#2--trigger
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:54:27 AM »
I had planned on installing the single set (L&R I think) that TOTW sells in my modified kit gun but have found that there simply is no room for it.   just not enough wood and space between their routing/rooting out for the trigger guard and the sear bar.   so I've ordered a style appropriate trigger that has to be pinned into the stock.  I know I'll have to file it down to get the right relationship to the sear bar--not a problem.  I'll have to save the SST for a future project.

However I think I've heard that the trigger pin/pivot location has a lot to do with the quality of the trigger pull.   the plans I got with the kit are for the Tulle gun which uses a brass trigger plate with a lug for the pin.   I'h hoping for some tips and advice on where to locate the pivot pin in both the trigger and the wood.  is a high or a low location better?  how about fore and aft placement.   I'm hopping for a trigger pull that is free of undue slop side to side as well as takeup and over travel

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: construction question#2--trigger
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 05:07:26 AM »
Inletting the trigger neatly and the trigger plate will prevent the side to side slop. Pinning it at least as high,,,, or better yet, higher than the sear bar and about 5/8" in front of it should give you the right geometry for a light pull and minimal creep
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:35:35 AM »
I did these several years ago. I hope this helps.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

The other DWS

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:45:49 AM »
thanks----'zakly what I needed to know.  probably detailed in the "grenville book"  but I loaned it to my cousin---waaay too soon I fear.

on that "best" "c" is the trigger hung from the sear pivot screw? I can see how that'd really give a smooth drag-free lift to the sear bar but I can't quite envision how to assemble and install it---but then It's been a long day

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 03:10:45 PM »
Not hung from the sear pivot screw but from a pin aligned with the sear pivot. Remember the sear pivot is on the lock. the pin extends throught the wood but stops on the inside surface of the lock mortise, hence little wood on the lock side of the trigger.

I form the end over in a "L" shape on the lock side and don't drill it through to the side panel.  Just my preference, you can go all the way through to the side panel if you want.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »
Tim.......I disagree with your pin placement.    If you  pin it in the same relationship, or position, as the sear itself, it will
be about an inch from the bar......way too much, it will pull "hard".    The distance from the sear bar to where the trigger
is pinned should be no more than 1/2" to give you a fairly light pull.   Actually I prefer it to be slightly less than 1/2"
Don

northmn

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
While I will not speak for some of the newer locks as made by Chambers or L&R, I have run into some locks where the full cock notch is about like the half cock notch.  Also at times the sear spring is a little too stiff.  I agree with Don on trigger pin placement and also Acer is correct.  First do that and try it.  If that is still a little too stiff you can also check the sear spring and grind it down a bit (file or grind length ways not cross ways).  Then check the sear engagement if that does not work.  Also remember that a good single trigger pull is measured at about 2 pounds or so.  You should be able to put it on full cock and let the butt fall a couple of  inches or so without tripping the sear.  Another little trick I have used that saves some tedious fitting is to install a light spring at the rear of the trigger to hold it against the sear as was done on many old shotguns.  Works especially well on locks where the half cock does notch full cock.  Again, you should be able to use Acer's recommendations to get a smooth pull, but do not expect the hair trigger you can adjust in a set trigger.  The fine English sporting guns did not use set triggers a great deal, as in very few.  For a Tulle I would not even want a set trigger.  I much prefer to drill all the way through for a trigger pin as I like to have easy disassembly in case needed.

DP

The other DWS

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 04:23:16 PM »
Don, so, you are saying "high as possible", perhaps as high as the sear pivot screw, but farther back, 1/2 inch or so from the sear bar.  I can see how being closer in the horizontal would reduce the amount of travel--in terms of degrees of arc of trigger movement required to lift the bar.  But doesn't a longer lever arm usually mean a lighter lift.  But then I get confused easy, especially when my blood/caffeine ratio is not up to snuff yet

Tim & Acer

I agree totally on the hardened pins. I always have saved my broken drills in a small jar of light oil rather than throw them away.  I'm also looking at the solid wire radio antenna on an old van I'm about to scrap its about 3/32 and must be some sort of hard stainless spring wire.  with some cleanup and polishing it should be worth saving.   I have a set of work-pins I made years ago out of some similar 1/16.  2 or 2 1/2 long with a tight loop bent on one end and the other end rounded and polished.  I can grab'em with pliers easily to pull'em out.

Wondering if, in consideration of pivot pin location C, you could drill a short hole --about as deep as the screw slot, 3/32 or so in the center of the head of the sear pivot screw,  just enough to support the end of the pin.  you'd still have plenty of slot to work with the screw.  you could drill all the way through for as long a pin as possible for more wood support since the hole would probably be behind the sideplate--though you are making another weakening hole in the center of the wrist.

any thoughts on trigger pin diameter

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
I set the trigger pin, be it pinned in wood or the trigger plate, at the level or above the sear pivot.
It should be at least as far forward as the sear pivot.
Setting the trigger pin too close to the arm of the sear will result in a creepy trigger pull that is actually harder to correct than having the pivot farther forward than one might want. Like near an inch.
The last one I did is in a pistol and its pinned in the wood through the sear screw inlet. This pistol has a rather long trigger and an excellent trigger pull for a pistol after adjusting the lock.
The design of the firearm and the parts to be used can also set the position of the trigger pivot.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
It is best to not use some spring wire but to use something the same dimension as the pin for a tight fit if placed in the wood.  Some wires cannot be duplicated even with wire gauge drills.  Drill rod or old drills work great as they can be duplicated by a good drill.  3/32 is plenty fine for a trigger pin.  Look at the trigger plates in TOW for English guns and you see a high pivet mounted on the plate.  While there has been some controversy as to wear on the wood making a loose fit over time, with todays technology you can fix that if it occurs.  Personally I would suspect any looseness would occur over time by not getting a tight fit when made.  I use 3/32 copper coated welding rod for a pin as the copper has some lube properties. Also cheap and can be replaced later if worn.

DP 

The other DWS

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »
duh,  dope slap!!!  Thanks DP.   I had completely forgotten the copper coated welding rod.  I built half a dozen flinter trade guns of several types back in the early 80s for a reenactment group and used the copper coated rod for all the pins.

While "kit' guns save some time the precarved stocks really limit the options.  on the Type C I'm adapting I wish the fancy sideplate had not been inletted at all and while having the lock 90% inletted is nice I sure wish the tail was a bit higher in the stock.  just not a lot of room to do much with the trigger pin placement.

next rifle'll be different thats for sure

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
I used the copper coated welding rod and so far it seems to hold up fine. Keep your inlet and trigger plate opening just big enough for the trigger to clear to prevent any sideways torque on the pin.  I was amazed at how well these pin mounted simple triggers work....  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:32:29 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 03:34:43 AM »
The other DWS.....try to visualize that pin thru the trigger to be the "fulcrum" of a pry bar.   If you were going to use an
8 foot long 2x4 as a pry bar, and wanted to pry something rather heavy, you most certainly wouldn't put the fulcrum in
the middle of the 2x4......would you?   You will be able to lift much more, more easily, if you put that fulcrum about 2 feet
from the end toward the object, and apply pressure with the 6 foot end.   The same general principle applies to a single
trigger.   And for you Dan, I've built almost 85 guns in my lifetime, most of them with single triggers, and now you come
along and tell me I've been doing it all wrong all of this time.   If you pin it at the 1" point, from the sear bar, the distance
to the bottom of the trigger, or the other end of this "pry" bar will be about 1 1/2".    If we use those same ratio's on my
2x4 example, we would be putting the fulcrum of that 8' pry bar at slightly less that 5 feet on one end, and a little more
than 3 feet under the weight we are going to lift.....doesn't sound too efficient to me.  I'm sure not going to tell you how
to build guns, but, on the other hand, I am surely not going to recommend that they pin their triggers an inch from the sear bar.   I would recommend slightly under 1/2", I've found that this works well, along with some good stoning of the
sear surfaces........all part of gunbuilding...........Don

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
The other DWS.....try to visualize that pin thru the trigger to be the "fulcrum" of a pry bar.   If you were going to use an
8 foot long 2x4 as a pry bar, and wanted to pry something rather heavy, you most certainly wouldn't put the fulcrum in
the middle of the 2x4......would you?   You will be able to lift much more, more easily, if you put that fulcrum about 2 feet
from the end toward the object, and apply pressure with the 6 foot end.   The same general principle applies to a single
trigger.   And for you Dan, I've built almost 85 guns in my lifetime, most of them with single triggers, and now you come
along and tell me I've been doing it all wrong all of this time.   If you pin it at the 1" point, from the sear bar, the distance
to the bottom of the trigger, or the other end of this "pry" bar will be about 1 1/2".    If we use those same ratio's on my
2x4 example, we would be putting the fulcrum of that 8' pry bar at slightly less that 5 feet on one end, and a little more
than 3 feet under the weight we are going to lift.....doesn't sound too efficient to me.  I'm sure not going to tell you how
to build guns, but, on the other hand, I am surely not going to recommend that they pin their triggers an inch from the sear bar.   I would recommend slightly under 1/2", I've found that this works well, along with some good stoning of the
sear surfaces........all part of gunbuilding...........Don

Don it might be best if you confine your comments to carpentry. Or you might read my post a little closer.
Just because you lack the ability to make a lock work without having the trigger pivot in a specific place it is not an indication that everyone else suffers from this handicap.
I did not, you should have noted, advocate setting ALL pivots at 1".
I have a rifle made with this trigger and plate.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=156&styleId=709&partNum=TR-ENG-T

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=156&styleId=709&partNum=TR-ENG-P

The sear contact is just short of the end of the trigger extension, about an inch from the pivot, perhaps more I have no intention of pulling it apart for exact measurements. I was not pleased with having it this far "out" but it was not the problem you seem to think it would be. There is no creep and it breaks cleanly at 50 ounces  on my old spring trigger pull gauge (thats 3 1/8 pounds for folks without a calculator handy). I could likely make it 8-12 ounces if I wanted, but its a hunting rifle.
Of course its a Manton design lock so it has small sear notches and I do know how to make sears and tumbler notches work. The result is the best trigger I have on a rifle. The pistol mentioned in my post with the trigger pinned at the sear screw location is just as good. Funny how that works. All it takes is a little tuning to make the parts work properly together.
The rifle has what many here would call a very heavy mainspring as well.

The trigger location in relation to the lock is remarkably like some original English rifles of the late Flint period. The Tatham rifles in "British Flintlock Military Rifles" and on plate XI of George's "English Guns & Rifles".

Finally I would submit that I was trying to *point out* that having a pivot more than 5/8 or so from the sear arm was by no means a *disaster*, not ideal IMO, but its still easily doable and a very good trigger pull will result if the PROPER INSTALLATION & TUNING IS DONE. In fact a crisper trigger will result from having the pivot at 5/8 as opposed to 3/8". But this does not mean its *wrong* to set one at 3/8" if it becomes necessary for some reason.

1/2" is what *I* consider minimum since creep starts to be a factor as the trigger has to move relatively far to get movement from the sear (BTDT too), its one of those lever things you were using lumber to illustrate. I *personally* would rather deal with the higher pressures needed by the longer distance than the creep. For ME a high sear pressure is easier to fix. Someone else may feel differently.
*I think* that 5/8" or a little more is best *IMO*. But for those who use locks out of the box this short distance can solve problems caused by poorly formed sear noses/tumbler notches that they might lack the experience to modify safely. So for some the shorter distance, is the parts allow, might be of some advantage. Builders who tunes/changes just about every lock he gets  or makes from castings it might not be the best choice. I make a lot of internal parts because often the castings are "unsuitable" in either parts sets or even some finished locks.

BUT EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN PROCESSES THAT WORK WELL FOR THEM.
So most of what is written by the members of this forum is educational in nature, trying to aid some other poster with some issue or another. It is meant to inform and answer questions. I almost ALL cases there is more than ONE RIGHT ANSWER.
I simply try to relate things I have seen or done of the last 40 odd years of learning to be a gunmaker that might be of some use to others. I don't believe you will find a single instance where I insisted anyone do things as I advocate. I certainly have never threatened to come to someone's house or shop and bend their ramrod hole drill shaft, for example, because its not the type I would use.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

The other DWS

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »
this is a most interesting discussion, especially since my trigger parts arrived from TOTW a few min ago.  I hope it continues--without too much conflict.

looks like I'm sorta locked into a configuration because of the way the precarve is set up.  but the solid casting fin on the trigger extends up quite a ways so I may be able to put in a higher pivot than I thought from the catalogue pictures, with a lower sear arm strike surface