Author Topic: Beginner Question Welding tang to breech plug  (Read 3358 times)

Nathan Bowen

Beginner Question Welding tang to breech plug
« on: March 21, 2010, 05:24:17 PM »
I have a .50 caliber Getz barrel that is breached by Mr. Getz but I need a little more length on the tang for the southern gun I am building. I have a stick and wire welder and I can also braze but am wondering what the best way to add a length of steel is to the tang on the breech plug? Also is any steel ok to use? I want to make sure that the metal takes the finishing process the same.
Thanks,
Nathan

Birddog6

Re: Beginner Question Welding tang to breech plug
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »
V  both pieces on all sides, weld them of & go over size in all areas, let them cool, grind or belt sand them close to finish size & Do NOT get them too hot in the process, file them to finish size.

I have done Dozens of them for me & others & use just regular wire in a wire welder & mild steel for the tang.  Only ever had issues with one & turned out the new wire they welding shop gave me had changed & they didn't know it, was a manuf. change. Went back to the old Harris wire & no problems since & welded ? 8-10 since with no problems.

Have welded lots of cast triggerguards with same wire. ALL of the tangs & guards browned with no issues..
 ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:50:32 PM by Birddog6 »

eagle24

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:49:03 PM »
Keith,
When you weld a long southern tang, do you anneal it after you weld it?  Just wondering if it makes the welded area hard and brittle and hard to work (bending).

Birddog6

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 12:09:45 AM »
Yes, anything I weld like that I heat red hot & let it cool slowly.  Don't know if it matters or not on them, I just auto do it as have broken places before on bending metal from not doing it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:10:01 AM by Birddog6 »

Offline rick landes

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
If you can, use an argon CO2 mix vs straight CO2 for your gas shield. It gives a smoother weld and less splatter. Mr. BirdDog is spot on with the customizing...as always  :)
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson