Author Topic: trigger tempering  (Read 3749 times)

The other DWS

trigger tempering
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »
I've finally decided on what I think I want to do about my trigger.  I'll need to file/grind it down and drill it.  however as it comes from TOTW it is harder than betty's biscuits.  Can I  simply heat it up to cherry red on the burner of my electric kitchen range and let it aircool to anneal it and then once it is cut down drilled polished etc, re heat it the same way and drop in in water or oil to harden it?  Safely??

billd

Re: trigger tempering
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:14:30 PM »
In my house a bottle of Mapp gas is cheaper than my wife's rath!  On her stove!!!!! not a chance.

The other DWS

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »
one of the advantages of being non-married  I guess, but I paid a fierce price to achieve this condition

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:59:36 PM »
Are you sure that your drill isn't super dull?  I've never seen TOW's castings being too hard to drill. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 12:29:57 AM »
  A reversable drill perhaps? On the wrong set?

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:42:44 AM »
I didn't try a drill.  I tried a NEW file---I have a bunch to cut down--and it just skated and skreeched.

Anyway I put it on the stove for a good long time. It never got red hot that I could see.   Let it air cool down and was able to hacksaw much of what I needed to remove.  Now a new file will work on it but its not dead soft.  Once I've got it worked down to shape and polished I'll heat it the same way and drop it in oil and see how it turns out--check it with a file.  I can always try again with water--or take it to the local welding shop and have him Casinite it.  

In the area where you have the trigger bar and the sear bar in contact, do you leave the contact surface of the trigger bar flat, or do your round it off to reduce contact drag---assuming its been hardened?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:44:45 AM by The other DWS »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 02:33:39 AM »

In the area where you have the trigger bar and the sear bar in contact, do you leave the contact surface of the trigger bar flat, or do your round it off to reduce contact drag---assuming its been hardened?

I always put sort of a rounded surface there. Polish and harden, and polish again, then a spot of good grease.

billd

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 03:30:56 AM »
I bought triggers from Troy Roop that were very hard, just a few months ago.

Bill

The other DWS

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 05:20:54 AM »
HooooWeeeeee,  got the trigger installed,  Its a bit strange I suspect,  I had to really skeletonized to make it fit and still get a high pivot.

but it works,  stays on full cock if I thump the but on the floor good and hard.  sparks like heck.  haven't weighed the pull.  (my trigger gauge is in another pile of tool boxes) but it feels nice to me short pull no grit or wobble and a clean break.  

man, do I feel relieved.  this is my first build in a long time and that inside the wood behind the lock working blind stuff always made me nervous.

Now I can start whittl'n and scrap'n on the outside.   that'll be somewhat relaxing work

Then I've got to start thinking about the vent.  I have the TOTW replaceable small ampco liner/vent and a couple of the Chambers larger WL liners. The problem to puzzle through before touching it with the drill is that it looks like the face of the breechplug just about splits the pan vertically, maybe a slight touch behind the midpoint.  Just not sure how to make it come together properly yet.
good thing there's a bunch of wood to scrape while I sort it out
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:36:52 AM by The other DWS »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 06:23:02 AM »
I've finally decided on what I think I want to do about my trigger.  I'll need to file/grind it down and drill it.  however as it comes from TOTW it is harder than betty's biscuits.  Can I  simply heat it up to cherry red on the burner of my electric kitchen range and let it aircool to anneal it and then once it is cut down drilled polished etc, re heat it the same way and drop in in water or oil to harden it?  Safely??

Polish it then heat to past blue but just before it begins to glow in a low light room. This should allow filing drilling etc without any scale etc.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine