Author Topic: Who Made This Patchbox?  (Read 3920 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Who Made This Patchbox?
« on: March 23, 2010, 07:02:59 PM »
I was wondering if anyone might have some ideas as to who the maker was of this original patchbox? 
Joel Hall

Offline t.caster

Re: Who Made This Patchbox?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:43:43 PM »
Some old guy named Joel Hall, I think!
Tom C.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:36:47 AM »
This appears to be a stylistic combination of a Northampton/Neihart domed lid teamed up with an Angstat finial. How old is it? Can't say, but probably first quarter of the 1800s. The finial is that of one of the Angstats, perhaps Peter, or Jacob, who no doubt made the rifle that this box came with. Too bad the rest of the old rifle is now gone. 
The profile of the stock on the new rifle seems to emulate that of Peter Angstat. Very appropriate! Is there some story or history that goes with this piece? Thank you for posting it. Always fun to see good things.
Dick

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 02:27:36 AM »
Thanks Dick and Tom for chimming in on this question.  Dick, your summation pretty much lines up with what I was thinking. Tom, you only are correct about the barrel signature, not the PB maker. :)  To make a long story as short as I can;  my winter building project needed something special as I like Pennsylvania rifles but am not much of a carver. Being kind of a sentimental......something old something new something borrowed something blue....well kind of like that. I remembered my good friend Hurricane had this nice old patchbox just kicking around. It was just that special something to give my new rifle it's "heart". We struck a deal and the box now gets to continue the journey as Mr. Angstadt?? intended.       
Joel Hall

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 02:57:17 AM »
Great story, Joel; that is sure a pretty rifle you built to help out in its journey. Lucky patchbox! You did a fine job in building the gun and looks like a keeper for real. Lordy, wish I had some of that talent. Thanks again.
Dick

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 06:39:22 AM »
what a great way to keep a piece of history still in circulation. I think its great that you will honor the maker by letting others enjoy it. Well done I say, well done.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 07:46:35 PM »
That's cool Joel! You did a nice job inletting it without filing off a lot of brass or orig. engraving!
Tom C.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 08:36:55 PM »
Did you inscribe the story inside the patchbox so that someone who owns the gun 200 years from now will be able to find this neat little bit of history??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 01:25:59 AM »
I hadn't thought about that, so far down the road. I did everything I could to keep the patchbox in it's original state. It is a very good idea Tim! What I will do is put the story on a parchment paper, roll it up and place it in a hidden cubby hole within the patchbox compartment.  Thank you for your insight!..........Joel
Joel Hall