Author Topic: Build #2, Pistol  (Read 13240 times)

Daryl

Re: Build #2, Pistol
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »
It's getting there, Kerry.  A vent liner will help considerably with ignition, I'd think - or going in from the inside and coning out the metal right enxt to the vent hole with a rounded diamond bit - Princess Auto had a package of about 12 different shapes- $7.00.  I used one for the India Pattern Bess I had.  Holding the rounded bit on the inside of the vent(from the breech plug end, made a perfect cone to the vent, leaving about 1/16" wall to the outside.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:00:20 PM by Daryl »

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 11:06:13 PM »
Hi Daryl, thx for the comment, hopefully I`ll have it finished for Heffley Cr.. I`ll give what you suggest a try, I have several sets of the little diamond bits as you describe. Ive ordered a couple liners and a special tap from TOW,  but this will be a good thing to try first... I`m hoping it (faster ignition) will help me be able to hit something with it..LOL.... off bags I seem to get a rough 6 in. group at  7 metres atm........   :)  Kerry

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 01:26:28 AM »
I made a trigger guard and did some stock shaping, I`m happy with what I ended up with. Dont know if I have the stones to try carving on it yet, I`ll have to practice a while on that. I plan to put a little darker stain on and several coats of tung oil next..  :)  Kerry
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:27:17 AM by KNeilson »

Daryl

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 02:44:02 AM »
Going to finish the lock panels and slim it up a bit more?

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 03:33:47 AM »
Hi Daryl,
Going to finish the lock panels and slim it up a bit more?
 Not too sure how to go about that.  I was planning to look up the thread (lehigh pistol)  to see what he did. I definately need some more reference material. I hope I have enough wood ( in the right spots) left.

Ive looked at a couple pics in the archives, and will try to take out a little wood in these areas,  .......K
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:56:13 AM by KNeilson »

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
Here's one.  The butt is bigger than it needs to be, however probably feels pretty good in the hand, compared to some originals tht are really thin.

Another

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 11:12:53 PM »
Hi Daryl, nice pistol, thx for showing me. I did some reading in the archives and looked at a few in the ALR virtual museum. Went home on Fri nite and shaped my stock a bit more. Shure feels much less "clubby" in my hand. I had already removed a slight amount of mass around the rear off the sideplate panel. I managed to get an OK balance between the two I think. Like a kid at christmas I had to sand and stain and git er done... so Sun morn I took it to shoot. Works much better with the vent coned, I need a ton of practice tho..I got a whole new bunch of respect for the people that used these.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:21:04 AM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 03:00:06 AM »
Looking good, Kerry.