Author Topic: My first screw tip horn  (Read 6451 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
My first screw tip horn
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:28:40 AM »
I had to make two of every part and it is a minor miracle that this horn is in one piece.   Let me know what you think.   

Mark E.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
Re: My first screw tip horn
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:29:34 AM »
It is a beautiful miracle!!

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:29:58 AM »
I forgot to thank Tim Crosby for his help getting this done.

Mark E.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:29:52 AM »
Mark,

This is a really beautiful horn.  And I understand about making two of everything...only I usually don't get to stop at two as it often takes me three or four attempts to get things right.  By the by, I am a big fan of new, 21st century horns that look new.  They, like us, will get all the aging they need soon enough.  Great job.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline acorn20

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 06:38:35 AM »
If that's your first screwtip Mark, I'll have to give you an "A".  Nice work.  Well proportioned.
Dan Akers

omark

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:24:16 AM »
i think it is very nice. i, for another one like "new" horns also.  mark   8)

Jefferson58

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »
Mark:

That is a great-looking horn! All of the elements work so well together. If the band is wood, that really looks good with it. That tip shape is awesome too.

Hope you will have that one with you this weekend.

Jeff

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 02:26:46 PM »
 Really a Great looking horn Mark. May be a first but I'm sure it will not be the last. Well done.

Tim C.

Offline Rayant

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 04:22:49 PM »
Mark, It is a really good looking horn. You Should be proud.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 04:41:21 PM »
Mark,

Great looking horn!  Are the threads on the horn internal or external?  Is the band wood or horn?  The fit looks really tight, great job!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 06:34:12 PM »
I always wonder how you guys get the tip on at the perfect angle like that.  Must be tricky.  Great looking horn.
Andover, Vermont

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »
Very nice work. Does not look like a "first" in any form to me. Of course if it turned out like a run of the mill "first" I bet we would not be seeing it?  ;D
I have watched modern fads come and go in this stuff for over three decades. These ringed horns are all the rage as of now.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 06:52:06 PM »
Mark, great looking first screwtip horn and you did a fine job on the tip.  Keep up the good work and I'll enjoy looking at your future endeavors.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 07:46:18 PM »
This is a typical VA horn and I wanted an nice  VA horn to go with my latest early VA pouch (which I don't think I have posted).  The thing is that it is a left hand carry and I wanted a right hand carry.   I just didn't have a good horn for that.   I ordered some more.   Hopefully, there will be two suitable right hand carry horns in the batch.   I wanted a middle valley horn for my early VA pouch and a SW VA horn for my SW VA pouch. 

The tip and the band are horn.    I just tried to stain them to look like walnut.    I wasn't successful.   I am still working on how to finish horns and pouches properly.   Every project is a learning experience.

I have started to get seriously into bags and horns.    They are a lot of fun.    You can make them fast (compared to a gun) so you can try a lot of things and throw it away if you don't like the results.

Thanks for all the kink comments.

Mark E.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
The tip and the band are horn.    I just tried to stain them to look like walnut.    I wasn't successful.   I am still working on how to finish horns and pouches properly.   Every project is a learning experience.
Nice horn Mark, you did a great job. I am happy to hear its not a wooden ring! I had planned to try to make a wooden ring or two to go on a horn that I have planned. I was afraid you had beaten me to the punch! I have no idea if its PC or even practical but I believe I it can be done if the right wood is used.
See you tomorrow.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »
Very nicely done, Mark.  That's a great looking horn -- well designed and pleasingly proportioned with great coloring...
Bill

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 03:34:27 AM »
I love the brown tip and ring. How did you color them?

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 03:42:18 AM »
The tip and ring were dyed with a combination of brown, yellow, and red Rit Dye.   They were scrubbed back with steel wool and aqua fortis applied.

Mark E

smorrison

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 03:56:36 AM »
Mark,
You did a fine job on that horn.  I need to knuckle down and do one of my own...

Scott M.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 06:38:42 AM »
  I haven't yet become a fan of screw tips...yet. But I really like this one! You have a great eye for architecture, a built in Golden Mean. I really like horns left "natural" to age on there own. If you can't live with a left carry, just send it up to me!...or try it on your left, I'll bet you'll like a lefty! Nice job, Mark.