Author Topic: A Panel Horn  (Read 3893 times)

smorrison

A Panel Horn
« on: March 26, 2010, 02:47:16 AM »
Here is a full panel horn I recently completed.  I've been experimenting with antiquing techniques, and left some marks and scratches in.  The butt and spout plugs are walnut and an iron staple for rear strap attachment.

Scott M.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: A Panel Horn
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 03:28:46 AM »
I like the overall look and the coloring.    Did you dye it black and then scrub it back?

Mark E.

smorrison

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:53:59 AM »
Mark,
The horn was first dyed with aquafortis in three applications.  With each application, I spread a thin even coat over the horn, then heated with my hot air gun, producing a nice light yellow color.  After setting and securing the butt, I heated the horn again and applied dark walnut oil based stain, selectively wiping it and also sprinkling black tempura paint on the stain.  This is basically following the method Scott Sibley (bigbat) has in his book.  I'm still experimenting with the antiqueing, seeing what works for me...

Scott M.

black ed

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:30:42 AM »
I like the flow of the horn. The way the panels start and the way you have used the base horn color. It almost looks as if the base color has melted in to the tip color.

smorrison

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:11:07 AM »
Thanks black ed. The color flow is due partly to my application of stain and partly to the natural lighter horn material merging into the darker material close to the tip.  Everything seemed to come together and work right on this one...

Scott

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »
 Good look'n horn, real nice job.

Tim C.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »
Love this horn! It's the same thing I like about simple, unadorned flinters--it's all in the architecture. Simply elegant, elegantly simple.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

smorrison

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 04:54:19 AM »
Thanks Tim, Kermit.

Scott

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 05:51:56 AM »
Scott: Did you form your pannels completly on the out side or is there a way to start your pannels by forcing a shaped plug in from the inside after boiling in oil for instance. Kinda like swaging a form from the inside and then finnishing from the outside after horn has cooled into the semishaped form? I hope that didnt sound like as dumb of a question on your end as it did on mine.  Nice looking horn even if I dont know how you did it. Keep up the good work.  Gary

smorrison

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 02:42:18 AM »
Not a dumb question at all Gary.  I shaped the horn all from the outside, with files, rasps and knives (scrapers).  I haven't tried what you suggested, and I'm not sure how effective it would work.  Interesting concept, though.

Scott