Author Topic: Shuler Rifle  (Read 10670 times)

sciotaboy

Shuler Rifle
« on: March 26, 2010, 07:15:55 PM »
Nord

This rifle is no where as nice as the other Shuler you have in the library but all I have. I know that these pictures are not the best but I can take better ones if you would like pics of this gun for the library. If you don't, that okay too. Just let me know.

Thanks,
Ralph

Offline nord

Re: Shuler Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 07:34:30 PM »
Not want your rifle? Are you kidding?

Send me the info and photos... PLEASE!
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »
Sciotaboy, I can't wait to see more. I'd love to see more pictures of the horns too. Are they original's? Thanks!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

sciotaboy

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
Nord
I will work on the pics this weekend. Could you tell me what info you would like and just so I don't miss sometning----what for pictures do you need?

Robby
The one horn I know is old. The dark one. The other horn could be. I need someone who knows a lot more then me to take a gander at it.

Offline nord

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 12:16:01 AM »
Traditionally...

Butt to forward of lock on all sides. Muzzle detail. Full side shots from both sides. Detailed patch box. Butt plate detail. Top barrel flat if a signature exists.

I prefer 800x600 resolution as it makes things simpler for me.

Send to <nordata@earthlink.net>. Mail may appear to be rejected but I'll see it anyway.

Best,

In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 12:48:06 AM »
This will be a great Shuler for the museum. It has above average silver work, a good box that is well engraved, a brass side plate also well engraved, and the nice brass forestock strips hiding the joint between the barrels. The lack of a cheekpiece makes me wonder if one barrel is smooth bored? It will be enjoyable to see closer pictures of the patchbox, side plate and silver butt inlays, particularly the eagle. And the gun has good barrel length and nice curly maple to top it all off.  Shelby Gallien

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 01:44:38 AM »
I agree, that's a darn Nice rifle!

As for the pictures, take them as if you were trying to sell it to someone. Use a nice uncluttered background like a medium colored sheet or piece of carpet. Take pics of the areas that Nord and Shelby mentioned, and anything else that would be a good selling point for the gun. If it has a signature on one or both of the barrels, be sure to get it.
Some general measurements would be helpful as well. Overall length, barrel length, approx caliber, rifled of smooth bore. I'll guess one of each on this gun.
And maybe throw in a couple good pics of the dark horn! ;D

John
John Robbins

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 03:36:58 AM »
I know where there is another Shuler very similar to this one, not quite as much silver, similar patchbox, BUT, can you
imagine this one being shortened.   I'm not talking a little, it's more like right down thru the middle of the patchbox lid and
side rails, about 2 1/2" shorter.   It's a nice gun but would require some extraordinary restoration.....it is for sale........Don

sciotaboy

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
Okay guys, I will start workin on those pics this morning. This gun is not in perfect condition. It does need two of those tubes that hold the ramrod on the gun. Any idea where I might find someone to replace them for me?
Both of the barrels are marked with the makers name and the lock is also marked with someone's name. The one thing that is a little differant is, on the brass that runs down the barrels---someone stamped a persons name there. I don't know if this was done when the gun was made or long after that date. Was this usually done or did someone do a big no-no? The name is Robert A. Shaw. Does that name ring a bell to anyone?

Thanks guys

scooter

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 03:03:38 AM »
The gun is quite late, possibly 3d generation Shuler. If you posted first name/ initial I missed it. Doubtless made in Liverpool, Perry Co, PA. Double guns made w/o wood on fore-end are usually after 1870 or so. Most black powder suppliers like Log Cabin in Lodi, OH, would have the ramrod "tubes" you need. I also missed whose name was on the lock altho 99.9% of time it's a commercial maker whose locks the gunsmith purchased from a hardware store. The name on the rib twixt the barrels may have been an owner.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 03:59:55 AM »
Coincidently, a good friend of mine bought a real nice Shuler this afternoon at our local gun show at the fairgrounds here.  It was a "walk-in" that the man had owned for about forty years. I'll try and get a good look at it tomorrow, his table is near mine.  I'd try to get pictures, but the chances of getting decent shots at the show are not good.

sciotaboy

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 04:16:38 PM »
The first name on the barrel is indeed John from Liverpool Pa. and both barrels are marked and rifled. I tried to get some pics yesterday but they didn't turn out too good. I will work on them today again.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 05:50:58 PM »
I think Scooter mis-typed when he commented that "Double guns made w/o wood on fore-end are usually after 1870 or so." I'm thinking he meant to type 1770 or so, although I'd give it a bit later than that.

I'd guess your gun was made about 1840/50s, or a few years on either side.

Maybe someone can post the bio info on John Shuler Jr on when he worked. I'm referenceless right now.

John
John Robbins

scooter

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »
I certainly did not mistype when I suggested that most double guns made without fore-end wood were made well after the Civil War and I would date this gun well after the date otherwise suggested. Below is some of the information I have on the PA Shuler family. I have seen what I believe are pre-Revolutionary war double barrel rifles [obviously made in flint] and many others == all with fore-end wood--, but those that had only buttstocks and no fore-end wood only are generally quite late.

Shuler, Caleb William  (1825- ). gunsmith.  Perry County. Caleb William was born June 26, 1825, a son of Samuel Shuler, Sr. He was a gunsmith and married Isabella Charles in 1844.  He lived and died in Liverpool.

Shuler, John. gunsmith. John Shuler was born near Quakertown, Montgomery County, and later moved to Millerstown, Perry County. He died prior to 1827.  In 1799 he married a Miss Thomas of Montgomery County who predeceased him. Their children included: Samuel, Sr.; Lydia, born in 1801; Polly, born in 1803; Leonard, a gunsmith in Lewistown; John, Jr., a gunsmith; and Joseph, later sheriff of Perry County.

Shuler, John Ramsey  (1829- ).  gunsmith.  John Ramsey was a son of Samuel Shuler, Sr., was born  on March 2, 1829. He married Mary Rook on July 28, 1852, and resided first at Liverpool, later at Bloomfield, where both died.

Shuler, Leonard. gunsmith. 1829-31, 497 High St., Philadelphia [Philadelphia Dirs.; Stranger's Guide]. Before 1832 Shuler was a gunsmith in Lewistown, Mifflin County. On 26 July 1832, George V. Stewart placed an advertisement in the Juniata Gazette saying that he had bought out Shuler's gunshop. Leonard was a son of John Shuler of Perry County and was probably born in Millerstown. He married a native of Lewistown and both died there.

Shuler, Samuel (1779-).  gunsmith.  Liverpool, Perry County.

Samuel Shuler . . . was born in Quakertown, Pa., December 23, 179 [or 1799?].  He learned the trade of a gunsmith with his father and worked at that trade during the earlier part of his life.  Having removed to Millerstown, he married a Miss Jones, a native of Raccoon Valley; and they resided in Millerstown until 1827; in the spring of that year he removed to Liverpool, where he followed the occupation of a gunsmith until 1834.  At this date he embarked in the grocery business, in which he continued until his death in August 1875. . . . His marriage to Miss Jones occurred September 16, 1823, and she died November 10, 1872.  Their children are: Caleb William, born June 26, 1825, a gunsmith, married Isabella Charles in 1844, lived and died in Liverpool; Elizabeth; John Ramsey, born March 2, 1829, married Mary Rook, July 28, 1852, and resided first at Liverpool, later at Bloomfield, where both died . . . .
   [Biographical Encyclopedia of Perry County, 1310]

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »
I certainly did not mistype when I suggested that most double guns made without fore-end wood were made well after the Civil War and I would date this gun well after the date otherwise suggested.

Okay, I should have known better than to have supposed that you might have mistyped. :o
But I respectfully disagree.
Lot's of swivel breech guns with brass fore arms were made long before the Civil War.

John
John Robbins