Author Topic: 3rd Annual Over The Log Shoot. 2010  (Read 13629 times)

Daryl

3rd Annual Over The Log Shoot. 2010
« on: March 27, 2010, 05:22:10 PM »

Re: ALR Over The Log Chunk Shoot 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Daryl on June 25, 2008, 06:46:59 AM
: OK- it's about time, A? Hope everyone has been practising - we haven't even fired one shot from a chunk, so I expect the winner could possibly be from the States, but not likely. HA!
: Who wants to do this?
: I've talking this over with some of the guys, and have decided that since I'm on a disability pension & of limited funds ie: too many other expensive hobbies, I am requesting that entrants send me a $5:00 MoneyOrder in International funds - or merely cash as happened last year.  

: Rules:

1/.- Normal hunting-trail walk rifles only - no calibre restriction. No Match-type Chunk Rifles. No false muzzles.
2/.- There will be NO re-entries. Screwing up is part and parcel with shooting a match in Canada. I am not going to make any money with this postal match, so there is no point in a re-entry.
3/.- Patched round ball only. Open sights only - non adjustable.
4/.- Prone - means laying on the ground - with a front rest only (NO rear bags), using a 'chunk' of wood, log or adjustable rest for the forend or barrel. Front bag allowed. I do not see any reason to exclude a modern tri-pod-type adjustable rest as they offer no advantages over the rests used in Chunk shooting competition - many of which are adjustable.
4/.- Spotter's or 'bud's of your design may be used of course, as we may not be able to see the black around the 'X'. Place it as you wish on each successive target. You may shoot a group on a spotter so see where you are shooting and place it appropriately. The 'spotter' is yours & your design and is not scored.
5/.- Range 50 yards. Total 5 record targets, 10 shots - 2 shots only per target. This 10 yard closer range than normal is due to our use of our rendezvous rifles only instead of heavy match rifles, as well as most suitable ranges offer a marked 50 yard range.
6/.- Spotting scopes allowed, but since targets are replaced between shots, there is not much point.
7/.- Targets are posted 1 at a time for each shooter. Because there are 2 shots shot per target, there will be no 'doubles' ie: targets with more than 2 holes. Doubles add inches to the score(all are measured for that shot's score). If you double (more than 2 shots on one, do not shoot at all 5 targets but leave the appropriate # off one of the successive targets. All holes in the targets will be measured plus 2" will be added for each penalty. Double whammy - This means if 11 shots are fired, your string will have 11 shots measured + 2" will added to the measure. I repeat, if you double on a target, one of the returned targets must be missing that 'cross fired' shot or shots. I MUST be able to measure all bullet holes. Since there are 2 shots per target and I expect some close shooting, however I will be able to tell if 2 balls entered the same hole - they will not be 'exactly' in the same hole, trust me on that. I've been scoring match targets for 35 years, so -- I've seen the varmint.
8/.- Shaders are allowed.
9/.- All entries(MO's or cash) must be received by the 16th of July.  Leaving for Dixon's 22nd.
10/. - The bottom of each target has a box for recording data. Please mark one with your name, calibre used, load (powder), bullet(ball) weight - put in here the ball diameter. 'Notes' line should have patch material, thickness and lube. Do this on one of the 5 match targets only.
11/ - Finally, please tape a dry patch to the target marked with your load combination.
12/. - All returned targets must be postmarked 16th August or earlier. Scoring will be completed after Hefley Creek Rendezvous, which is in the first week of Sept.

: Participants send International MO's or cash along with return addresses to:
Apparently some Us postal money order suppliers really charge heavily for this, so cash works. It is best to wrap any form of payment in a folded piece of paper.

Daryl Sapergia
325 15ave.
Prince George, B.C.
Canada V2L 3W6

Daryl Sapergia

Edit - for infor about chunk shooting, what it is and methods for shooting this style, please check out this link.  http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol3no2/articles/mbo32-1.shtml

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 03:32:09 AM by Daryl »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: 3rd Annual Over The Log Shoot. 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 01:23:58 AM »
Do you know what I'd find interesting?  When you return your targets, in the space where you indicated your load etc., tape one of your dry patches to the target. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:42:30 AM »
Good suggestion Taylor. I'll incorporate that onto the list.  I would find that most interesting to measure on my tools - for comparriosn.  I have two different makes of calipers and a 1" micrometer.  In measuring, I get 3 different thicknesses from cloth, the mic giving the thinnest readings.  The reason for the discrepancy is the width of the jaws on the mics, and compared to the small round anvil of the mic.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:26:29 AM »
When do we send the $ ???

How muchamerican ???

Your address still as per your post?

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:28:13 AM »
Everything's the same, Roger, no changes.  It's worked for 2 years now.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:18:22 PM »
Daryl:  Did you get my $ entry?  Can't remember! ::)

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 07:49:23 AM »
Got it, Roger. TKS. Will send your targets to you this week.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 05:45:28 PM »
Hey all you chunk crawlers out there how can this be??  I only now found out that there are '@!*% few' guys/gals entered in this upcoming or ongoing chunk shoot of Daryls.   Com-on, guys he is doing this for us and to promote the shooting game and you guys are not interested,.   I don't believe it.  

WHAT THE DEVIL IS THIS????  IS IT THAT YOU CAN DO THE TALK BUT CAN'T DO THE WALK.? COMEON LIFE IS SHORT GET ENTERED IN THIS ITS MORE FUN THAN YOU THOUGHT.  

$#*!, GUYS I'M ASHAMED OF YOU.    ::) :o >:( :(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:55:05 PM by Daryl »

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 10:55:19 PM »
I will send in my entry first thing Thursday morning.  Sorry for not getting this done earlier.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 05:28:15 AM »
Count me in, $ sent tomorrow.      Flintlocks Forever         Gary                                           Bum knee and all, but still able to hobble.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 02:28:21 AM »
Daryl,
I'm in, sending money out tomorrow (Friday 18th).
Mark
Mark

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 08:06:48 AM »
Targets arrived today, and I'm off work tomorrow.  However,,, forecast is for 25+ mph winds coming up tonight and lasting through tomorrow so I won't shoot my targets until I get a more calm day to do so.  Should be fun! :)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »
Daryl,
Sent money out on June 18th. Wondering if you received it?
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 08:00:55 AM »
Hi Mark - got 'package' today - thanks a bunch! Will get the targets off to you tomorrow.

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 08:02:26 AM »
I'd like to remind everyone about rule #1.  Have fun - play fair.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 08:29:12 AM »
Daryl,

I've never shot chunk before.  What is the traditional chunk to shoot off of??  Size, configuration, etc.  Any one have a plan for making one??  If I can figure this out, maybe I'll give it a try.

Dane
In His grip,

Dane

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »
Dane - Taylor and I used a chunk of firewood with a sand bag on top. Good luck.  It doesn't have to be fancy.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 12:57:36 AM »
OK,  next question.

I read the NMLRA link you mentioned.  The whole thing seems to be centered around "spotters".   I get why, mostly because being able to see the "X" at that distance would be impossible. (at least for me).  What configuration would one use as a spotter??
In His grip,

Dane

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 01:25:15 AM »
You can use whatever looks best to you. I prefer a 4" round black aiming point. This allows me to see the 'wings' of the rear sight at the 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock postions, along with a thin line of white between the bottom of the circle and the front sight.  Being able to see the wings of the rear sight helps keep the rifle from canting - for me.

With a bead front sight, I prefer concentric rings.

www.targez.com has a wide range of different targets you can print off to test with.  Both the chunk target I use, long with 2 tupse of spotters (buds) are downloaded form that site.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 01:05:24 AM »
Daryl,
Just wondering if you got my entry ? I sent it out to you several weeks ago, with a small package, and haven't gotten my targets yet.
Mark
Mark

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 04:27:46 AM »
Daryl,
Thanks, the targets arrived today. Will get them back ASAP.
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 05:30:32 PM »
There's no great rush, guys. I don't score them until after Hefley Creek rondy in Sept. - however, don't put it off too long as I am prone to do and then end up not getting it done.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 01:56:04 AM »
Daryl, I'll get mine shot this coming Wednesday morning (8/11/10) and get it mailed off to you. 

While I'm at it I think I'll shoot the 200 Yard Patched Round Ball Match - provided it's not to windy.  I'm a bit slow getting things done this year it sure seems like.

YORKTOWNE54

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 04:41:55 AM »
I hear ya candle, trying to survive dewpoints that rarely fall below 70 anymore here all summer .I wonder how the old timers dealt with the sweltering conditions?

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »
My guess Yorktowne54, is they were better climatized to the conditions more then what we are today with the use of our modern airconditioning and such.  It was hot and humid here early this morning.

Well I got my "over the log" shot this morning.  Wasn't very happy with the out come, but Daryl will be the judge of that.  Like all shooting matches - after the first shot I was committed, and naturally I was hoping for a better first shot.  Still, it was enjoyable.