Author Topic: GPR Signature Series  (Read 3397 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
GPR Signature Series
« on: March 03, 2021, 05:51:05 PM »
What do you think? It looks much closer to a Hawken than the old Investarms version. Wood to metal fit is really good too. Leaf spring lock as it should be instead of coil springs on old version. Sights are correct. Shape of stock looks good to me.

Offline thelongrifle

Re: GPR Signature Series
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 05:59:44 PM »
I would like it if it was a flintlock. Just my bias

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 06:04:02 PM »
I thought about it but there never was a half stock flintlock Hawken. At least in my research I couldn't find any pics of one.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 06:30:24 PM »
It might be an improvement over the older model but that rear sight is still too far back for a lot of older eyes. JMHO  :)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 06:37:33 PM »
It will be fuzzy for me no matter where it is. I've gotten good at shooting fuzzy sights.  :)

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 06:19:56 PM »
I thought about it but there never was a half stock flintlock Hawken. At least in my research I couldn't find any pics of one.
Maybe the guy who owned one didn't have a camera! ;D

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 07:02:28 PM »
That's a good observation Flinch rocket. I am a firm believer in the never say never or never say always when talking about these old guns.  :)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 08:08:23 PM »
Yes, but proof is needed. We can't just make up what we want because proof can't be found.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 10:02:26 PM »
That Lyman rifle does look a mite better than the previous ones, for sure. The shorter forend-cap
makes a big difference.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 12:26:27 AM »
I thought the old one was okay; but the new version is much improved.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline alacran

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 03:42:44 PM »
The early GPR's were much better that the TC Hawken. They shot better, had a longer sight radius, and looked much closer to a Hawken than the TC.
There was a write up the new version in Muzzleloader Magazine. For a production gun, it is pretty good looking.
I agree about the sights being too far back. That is not just for seeing, but for carrying. It looked to me that the sight would be fairly close
to the balance point.
By the way Flinchrocket, your argument can be made for any thing that there is no documentation for, ie ball blocks, short starters etc.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 07:58:50 PM »
When you consider the fact that the whole Hawken family worked at Harpers Ferry making halfstock flint rifles for the government,I don't think it's too far fetched to think they could have made a halfstock flintlock in St. Louis.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 08:35:50 PM »
When you consider the fact that the whole Hawken family worked at Harpers Ferry making halfstock flint rifles for the government,I don't think it's too far fetched to think they could have made a halfstock flintlock in St. Louis.
Often hypothesized, often debated. For those who are happy with “could have happened” it makes a great looking rifle. For those who like documentation, it has little appeal.
Andover, Vermont

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 08:44:17 PM »
I always thought it was pretty close to a generic plains rifle circa 1850 or later but I'm not near as knowledgeable as some here.
Mike Lee

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 08:49:06 PM »
The early GPR's were much better that the TC Hawken. They shot better, had a longer sight radius, and looked much closer to a Hawken than the TC.
There was a write up the new version in Muzzleloader Magazine. For a production gun, it is pretty good looking.
I agree about the sights being too far back. That is not just for seeing, but for carrying. It looked to me that the sight would be fairly close
to the balance point.
By the way Flinchrocket, your argument can be made for any thing that there is no documentation for, ie ball blocks, short starters etc.

There IS documentation of ball blocks and starters for THIS period (Hawken).

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »
We've called the GPR a Hawken for years. However, it's not sold as a Hawken but a plains rifle. That does open it up to more than being a Hawken.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 11:02:55 PM »
I live in the land of half stock "plains" rifles. I much prefer full socked rifles in flintlock. Guess I should just pack up and head to the land we came from (N. Carolina). Seriously they are just to barrel heavy and have what I think of as l clunky heavy appearance. now if I was heading up the Missouri in the early to middle 1800's these tough mountain rifles be be my choice. I just now days choose not to own or shoot them.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 11:23:25 PM »
I thought Muskrats were tough?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2021, 12:24:33 AM »
I do know that muskrats can bite through rubber gloves!  :'( :'(

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2021, 02:47:08 AM »
I live in the land of half stock "plains" rifles. I much prefer full socked rifles in flintlock. Guess I should just pack up and head to the land we came from (N. Carolina). Seriously they are just to barrel heavy and have what I think of as l clunky heavy appearance. now if I was heading up the Missouri in the early to middle 1800's these tough mountain rifles be be my choice. I just now days choose not to own or shoot them.
Mike, you should try one with a tapered barrel. Handles just like a swamped barrel.

Offline alacran

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2021, 03:36:48 PM »
We always seem to forget that these rifles were used by men that had horses and were never far from them. The weight of the rifle was not a big consideration.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »
The Hawkens and other plains rifles were stout on purpose. Designed to be tough and durable even if the took a tumble. Hundreds of miles from civilization out in the mountains is not where you’d want a dainty graceful rifle to get knocked off kilter from a fall from beast or man. They were also typically made shorter to better fit on a horse.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2021, 05:14:30 PM »
Not sure it's true but i've read they used the gun for a club when fighting Indians. It's the reason so many have repairs on the wrist area of the stock.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2021, 09:45:05 PM »
 Pete, I think the horse, not the Indian, is the likely villain in this story. I have some friends that do horse pack in treks, and hunt from horseback. Their guns could be taken to a museum that doesn’t have a firearms expert, and nobody would even question they’re age. One of these old hunters, that is long gone now, said that a horse wrecks a rifle out of awkwardness, but a mule had it planned from the gitgo.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2021, 10:38:31 PM »
Yeah, and the heavy barrel has a lot of weight to bounce around on a horse. Something has to give and the wrist is the weakest point.

Still, using it as a club is more exciting.